Day 23 Now What Its The First Time With Chickens For Me

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maoriauctions, Nov 22, 2007.

1. maoriauctions

maoriauctions Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2007
    Kia ora my chickens have been sitting on fertilised eggs for 23 days, how long do i let them sit on them, what do i do please help me

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would pull the eggs and candle them to make sure they are developing. They should have hatched at day 21, starting from the first day the hen sat on eggs. They might not be good anymore. Check tomorrow morning.

3. maoriauctions

Nov 22, 2007
    I got these eggs on the 1st of nov, so would i take it from the time my chicken sits on them?

4. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

21 days from when you set the eggs...

So as its the 22nd, the eggs are 21 days. If you set the eggs late on the 1st, then the 23rd will be day 21.

Still have a couple of days to go yet.

Eddie

PS where in NZ are you from?, I'm in Southland

5. maoriauctions

Nov 22, 2007
    Kia Ora edster951

So im panicking for nothing, thank u so much for putting my mind at rest, I have to laugh at myself. Me im from Tauranga. Ive had no experience with chickens so i started freaking, do you breed them?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I would take one out, hold it to your ear, and gently tap a few times. You may hear something. I actually heard the heartbeat. Karen

7. edster951

Quote:Don't breed them yet.

Hope to on our wee farmlet later when we move in in December.

Started off with 6 hens, but just hatched 10 2.5 weeks ago. Got another broody hen on another 6 eggs.

Just for fun at the moment.

8. maoriauctions

Nov 22, 2007
    well im happy to say two eggs from what i saw have started to hatch, the only thing that im worried about is that there are two hens on the eggs, when they have hatched do they share the chicks or will they fight ova them

9. edster951

Quote:dunno, never had two broodies together...how do they which chicks belong to whom.

10. maoriauctions

Nov 22, 2007
    acutally they dont belong to either, i got them off trademe when hen number 1 decided to get clucky the other one started about 2 weeks ago

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by