day 23 of egg hatching

Panic

Hatching
Jan 29, 2015
o my God o my God please someone help my egg did not hatch on day 21 i got nervous and open one very slowly on day 23 and now i see a little thing moving i think i mess it up very bad becouse his white membrane is showing and he is moving a bit what do i do o put him back in the incubator with a wet warm cloth do i cover the whole or do i just put it back in please help he still breathing.

Put him in the incubator. Raise humidity to 70-80% and watch. If the membrane begins to stick to him take a cloth with warm water and keep it moist.
x's 2

He still has a chance. I'd wrap the egg in a wet paper towel and let him be. He might surprise you.

At the end of my hatch, before I break open any I think are gonners I tap into the air cell first giving myself enough room to get my little finger in there to check for movement before I proceed to open the egg. That way if there's movement I can just replace and wait it out.

he is gone. my 12 year old cried all afternoon and my 3 year old don't understand why we put the baby in the ground. We are so sad what i don't know is how long should i leave the others i still have 30 in the incubator i did the water thing and all of them float it and move a little bit is day 23 and it smell funny inside the incubator. i cant see to b able rise the humidity i only get it to 60 i put more water and spray water but i don't hear any chirping no crack or anything this little one was not completely form there was a lot of membrane and blood vessel still when do i call it quit?

What was the temp of the bator? It sounds like it was to cold like at 97-99 deg. They are developing slow as You said. You also need to find a way to fix your humidity. It's to low for the hatch phase. Needs to be 70-75% in the final stage. Honestly I think the only thing you can do is wait and see. If they are moving than that's great!!!!! Keep them in there until there is no hope. For future the chicks should start chirping on day 21. Out of 30 you should have at least 1 already out of the shell on day 21. you gotta look at your process again because something is wrong.

he is gone. my 12 year old cried all afternoon and my 3 year old don't understand why we put the baby in the ground. We are so sad what i don't know is how long should i leave the others i still have 30 in the incubator i did the water thing and all of them float it and move a little bit is day 23 and it smell funny inside the incubator. i cant see to b able rise the humidity i only get it to 60 i put more water and spray water but i don't hear any chirping no crack or anything this little one was not completely form there was a lot of membrane and blood vessel still when do i call it quit?
Sorry to hear that. If they are not formed this late in the hatch then the temp is most certainly lower than average. (If you are using a still air bator it should be 101-102 degrees and if you are using a forced air incubator it should be 99.5.) If you have a problem in future hatches getting the humidity up, try using a couple of wet sponges in the bator. I too would leave them in there as long as you see signs of life. If it's smelling in the bator though you need to try to locate which egg it is and get it out of there.

What was the temp of the bator? It sounds like it was to cold like at 97-99 deg. They are developing slow as You said. You also need to find a way to fix your humidity. It's to low for the hatch phase. Needs to be 70-75% in the final stage. Honestly I think the only thing you can do is wait and see. If they are moving than that's great!!!!! Keep them in there until there is no hope. For future the chicks should start chirping on day 21. Out of 30 you should have at least 1 already out of the shell on day 21. you gotta look at your process again because something is wrong.
99 is not cold for forced air. It's actually recommended at 99.5. While most hatches have action by day 21 it is not necessarily true that you will. 21 is just an average. The recommended humidity is at least 65% for hatch, but I agree with you on higher. I strive for at least 75%.

Another question would be how is the hatcher counting the eggs? Day one does not start until 24 hours after they are set. You don't count day 1. That can make a big difference as to whether they are "early/late" or "on time". Many people do not realize that you do not count the day you set them and get overly anxious when they feel their eggs are "late".

There's definitely things that need to be tweaked, but don't give up or let it discourage you from trying again. Due to a faulty thermometer my first hatch yielded two that actually hatched way late and only one of the two survived. Next hatch, after I figured out the problem and took the steps to correct it, I had 13 hatchers out of 16 eggs.

Sorry to hear that. If they are not formed this late in the hatch then the temp is most certainly lower than average. (If you are using a still air bator it should be 101-102 degrees and if you are using a forced air incubator it should be 99.5.) If you have a problem in future hatches getting the humidity up, try using a couple of wet sponges in the bator.  I too would leave them in there as long as you see signs of life. If it's smelling in the bator though you need to try to locate which egg it is and get it out of there.

99 is not cold for forced air. It's actually recommended at 99.5.  While most hatches have action by day 21 it is not necessarily true that you will. 21 is just an average. The recommended humidity is at least 65% for hatch, but I agree with you on higher. I strive for at least 75%.

Another question would be how is the hatcher counting the eggs? Day one does not start until 24 hours after they are set. You don't count day 1. That can make a big difference as to whether they are "early/late" or "on time".  Many people do not realize that you do not count the day you set them and get overly anxious when they feel their eggs are "late".

There's definitely things that need to be tweaked, but don't give up or let it discourage you from trying again. Due to a faulty thermometer my first hatch yielded two that actually hatched way late and only one of the two survived. Next hatch, after I figured out the problem and took the steps to correct it, I had 13 hatchers out of 16 eggs. 

Totally agree. Thank you for clarifying what I missed. I should have specified the difference between forced air and still. I assumed she had a non forced air bator. Thanks :).

Guys you are the best I just wanted to say thank you so much for your support I will do better next time the good news is the I hear something chirping and I was right my son and I follow your finger instructions and found out one need it some help he just came out of the shell and we r loving on him or her either way we are naming him Mcguiver he is so cute there is another that still fighting for his life but I don't think he will survive I can't increase the humidity I did the sponge but nothing.

Back
Top Bottom