Day 23 of incubation and no chicks

May 22, 2018
its day 23 of incubating chicken eggs and no hatch. can I even expect chicks at this point? the incubator temp has dropped and come back up a few times bc it was cold outside and I had them in a shed but know I have them in my bathroom and the temp is fine. that's probably the reason I know but I still thought they'd have hatched by know. any advice is greatly appreciated

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium member
10 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
It is possible that the incubation period has been extended because of lowered temperatures. Did you calibrate the thermometer prior to starting the incubation, and did you candle to determine that the eggs are developing properly?

FoodFreedomNow

Crowing
Aug 11, 2016
KY
Your eggs are still within what I'd consider the "normal" timeframe for hatch (a range that is + or - 2 days from day 21). Like @Molpet, I've had eggs hatch later than that, though it's very unusual. At 3+ days, I candle to see if there are signs of life.

Hang in there...and best wishes for a good hatch!

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project manager
Premium member
8 Years
9 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
If you do not see any pips, check them by candling, tapping the eggs and listening for chirps.

If they wind up all being gonners, open up each egg to see if you can tell what killed them. Wait a couple of days though even if you see no signs of life

Top Bottom