Day 23 on chicken egg do you think this is a ok time to assist the chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chloe+chickens=LOVE, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Chloe+chickens=LOVE Songster

Jun 14, 2018
    Today is the beginning of day 23 it's 7 pm right now and my chick internally pipped at around 9 am yesterday on day 22. About an hour and a half ago I made a small hole into the egg so she has more air to breathe. But I'm wondering would it be a good time to add it this hatch? I'm just worried if I do help her her yolk sac won't be fully absorbed. Should it be all absorbed by day 23?

2. LaurEliz

LaurEliz Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Central Illinois
    My Coop
    I'd say it should be absorbed by day 23, but that's not always how things are. I've assisted many chicks and have never lost one from intervening yet, but it's always a gamble, and there are other chicks that I chose not to assist (mostly in situations where they hadn't zipped much, if at all) that didn't make it out who may have benefited from my help but may have not. I will never know. Ultimately, just do everything so, so slowly. If you see any bleeding while assisting, stop immediately. If you get to a certain point and you see the yolk isn't absorbed, stop.

You could also just wait it out. I typically help chicks out when I can see large portions of them, not just if a beak is poking through. However, I've had two instances where they pip and are chirping with their beaks stuck through and they just die like that, too. Ultimately, the call is yours. Sometimes helping is needed, and sometime's it's not. It really is a gamble.

Good luck to you and your chick!

Camellia likes this.
  3. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Chloe+chickens=LOVE Songster

Jun 14, 2018
    This morning I opened up the air cell part of the egg (about two hours ago) to see how she was doing. There was still veins that weren't fully asorbed yet so I might help her more in the next for hours. For now I'm just going to keep thd inner membrane moist wigh coconut oil.She was still alive and it turns out that she actually hadn't pecked into the aircell yet also her head was over her wing unstead of under it could this cause any problems? We also have a turkry egg in the incubator that Will be on day 29 at around 4 pm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: