day 23......one chick hatched and the rest ........nadda! Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coltssuperbowl83, Dec 20, 2010.

1. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Ok so i'm on day 23 now. I have had one chick hatch but the others don't look promising. I decided this morning to candle the eggs. I could see a definite air sac in all of them but could not see any movement whatsover. I then decided hmmmmmmm what the hay, so i water tested them as well. One egg floated at the top on its side and the others floated like they were supposed to but i still did not see any movement from them at all. [​IMG] Any advice...... Did i lose the rest? Also is there anyone in missouri that i could purchase a chick from so that mine is not lonely and by itself in case the others don't hatch??? We live around the Lee's Summit/Warrensburg area. Thanks for the help guys i appreciate it.[​IMG]

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Your only 2 days late. If your temp went down they could be coming late. I've had chicks hatch on day 25. I would hold on a couple more days. I wish you the best of luck.

3. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    anyone?

4. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Quote:ok. thanks.

5. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Day 21 for me was Friday.. and I just got chick #8 (of 11) an hour ago.. on day 24. Don't lose hope. I won't even tell you to be patient.. that is an impossible task for people watching an incubator.. was painful for a newbie like me. Two nights with very little sleep.
    [​IMG]

Shelly

6. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    but being that its day 23 shouldn't i see movement from the egg during the water test??? [​IMG] First time i've done the test so not sure. Thanks.

7. Rathbone

Rathbone Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Mojave Desert
    I just had this happen. One egg hatched and then days went by. I figured on day 23 that there was no hope. So I carefully started opening one of the eggs. The baby was moving inside! I put the egg back - and the five remaining eggs hatched on day 25.

8. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I would not worry about no movement right now.
    Just tuck them in the incubater and continue with your lock down
    I have had very late babies also......
    Even my chicks hatched by hens do not always hatch the same day.........
    Good luck and let us know how it goes...
    My bet is you will get more [​IMG]

9. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Thanks for the help guys..... i was just up there looking for pips or movements again and spend about 15 minutes looking at 6 eggs. I'm not positive but i think i heard a peep! Either that or i'm going crazy...... it was just one peep and i waited for a bit and didn't hear anything else so who knows....... We'll see.... Honestly i want to thank everyone for their time... i know im getting impatient but everyone on here is so nice and understanding.. I'm a new member and new at hatching and this site and the people on here are great! Thanks again and good luck with you own chick/chickens![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by