Day 23 Only One Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thomas4033, May 21, 2011.

1. thomas4033

thomas4033 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Everone
    I Set 25 Eggs, Now Day 23 And Only 1 Chick This Morning, Anyone Any Idea,s What Could Have Happened,
    This Is My First Hatch.[​IMG]

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    What kind of incubator are you using? I had that happen with my first set of eggs also. I opened the eggs and found that some had quit and others had drowned. My humidity was too high and I think I opened the bator too much. My second hatch was better as 50 percent of my eggs hatched (which is good for shipped eggs). Let the eggs go a couple more days unless you are absolutely sure they are not viable. I used a little giant incubator with egg turner and fan that I got used. It works fine for me and now that I have a little more experience using it, I expect my next hatch to be better.

3. thomas4033

Apr 5, 2011
    Home Made Incubator,, Humidty 55 Til Day 18

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    That humidity doesn't seem too high. I was using the traditional high #'s with my first hatch and only one made it too. This go round going a dry hatch with 45% to day 18. Did you candle your eggs? See what development was like, how large your air sac got. If a small air sac then humidity was your culprit. Candling now should reveal only the air void at large end, the rest of the egg will be dark as the chicks should be fully developed. There could still be some hatching, some here have reported as late as day 25 if heat was a tad low.

5. thomas4033

Apr 5, 2011
    day 25 and another one has just pipped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by