1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 23 pekin eggs HELP please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kdunn716, Oct 26, 2015.

1. kdunn716

kdunn716 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2015
    Metamora, MI
    I have 11 pekin duck eggs set in my incubator, they are only on day 23 and when I turned them this morning there is alot of peeping, movement and tapping sounds. I was curious so I candled some and some of their little heads are already in the air sac space. Is that a bad thing that they are so early? Could they run out of air and not hatch or are they maybe hatching early? I put more water in there to get the humidity up just in case they do pip but now im scared to even turn them again. Should i start lock down early. It was cute because i peeped at them and they kinda peeped back lol someone please help, any advise would be appreciated [​IMG]

2. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    How positive are you about your temps? If you had any spikes, those could account for early hatching.
    Are you getting any external pips?

3. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Peeping is great.... Helps them finish absorbing the yolk! (And it keeps us occupied!!!)

4. kdunn716

Sep 20, 2015
    Metamora, MI
    I set the incubator to 101.4 and it keeps it around 98.5-99. I hope at least. So far nothing external they are moving around still and still hearing tapping. Thank you.

5. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Is it a still air or does it have a fan? Either way 99.5 for circulated air, I think 101 for still air.
    Once they internal pip they have 24-36 hrs of air. I don't intervene until minimum 24 hrs. After that the most I do then is a tiny pin hole. The size of a pencil lead. But, since these guys are early (u sure you're dates are right?!?!?) give them time. Someone told me that the egg has been a great place for them for 3 weeks, don't kick em out early!!!
    Did u check your thermometer temps before you set them? How's your humidity?

6. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Are you sure of the breed? And also, did you calibrate the thermometer you are using? 5 days is a bit early. And yes, lockdown ASAP.

7. kdunn716

Sep 20, 2015
    Metamora, MI
    1 pipped [​IMG][​IMG]great now im not going to get any sleep haha

8. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Yeah!!!!! C'mon little duck!!! Anyway, sleep is overrated when you have an incubator full of ducklings!!!!

9. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    How's it going? Any hatches???

10. kdunn716

Sep 20, 2015
    Metamora, MI
    1 is out. 4 more pipped. She still has a small amount of yolk to absorb but she is laying there doing good. No bleeding, veins did good. So i guess i just wait and watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by