Day 23 question..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Aug 7, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So, tomorrow is day 23, and it looks like my humidity is dropping. Do I just add water in as quickly as possible and then close it all up again, or is there something else I need to do (besides grab my one little lonley chick in there!)?

TIA!

2. woogie g3

woogie g3 Chirping

Aug 5, 2010
    im no expert but on my incubator it has some vent holes on top and i have a small pipe stuck through it and a funnel on the end so i can add water without oppening it!!

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    opening the incubator for a few minutes during lockdown is not going to hurt anything [​IMG]
    I am sooo bad about opening the incubator and petting my chicks..hehe.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Just open the incubator quickly and toss in a couple of sponges wet with warm water, you will do no harm,

sandie

5. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, will do -thank you!!

My next question - I know I've read that you can put the eggs in warm water to see for movement. Can I do that now, or does that need to be done prior to lockdown. Still no more babies [​IMG] Today is day 23, other chick hatched on ay 21.

I'm going crazy- UGH! I think this is worse then waiting for your own child to be born!!! [​IMG] (at least then you can check and know all is well).. [​IMG]

Thank you guys so much for helping and getting me through this!

6. oesdog

oesdog Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Be patient two of my chicks didn;t hatch until day 27 and 28!!!! Though it was a humidity issue - do make sure you keep the humidity levels right as we lost 5 chicks in the incubator when it dropped and they dried out!

The two hatched a week after the others are now doing fine in the yard! So do be patient!

Oesdog - [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by