Day 23...should I give up on the rest??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sheps4her, Nov 12, 2010.

1. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    I have three hatched chicks in the incubator....1 hatched on day 21, one hatched on day 22 in the morning, and one hatched on day 22 very late at night..(almost midnight). I can't tell if the other eggs have pips in them. Should I take out the three chicks and leave the rest of the eggs to try to hatch??? I am so bummed that I might lose the 11 that are left! [​IMG] . I am not sure what went wrong with this hatch..although it is the first time I am using a LG incubator still air. The last hatches I had were done in a home made bator with a fan....what do I do? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    You know I waited 23 days before and had a chick hatch out. Only thing, the chick died. So idk afer 23 I'd say Give it up.

3. sheps4her

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    Quote:Well.. I think I will. [​IMG] There is no sign of anyone else hatching. And even worse, two out of the three that DID hatch had problems. One still had some of the yolk sac exposed and one could not stand. the one with the yolk out died and the other one was culled. that leaves me with one lonely chick. Definately my worst hatch ever. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] The first time using any bator, there are learning curves. I would give up on them, and if you have the stomach for it, I would open them to see what stage they quit at. It may give you a clue as to what went wrong. Did you candle before lockdown?

5. donjr721

donjr721 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    i am in the middle of eggs hatching right now. they started yesterday. i have had to pip a few myself and unzip them. i had to pull the white outer membrane away from the inner membrane. i had to use a cotton ball soaked with warm water to soften it up a bit to separate from the inner. then you can see what is going on. peel away enough shell around the top portion of the egg, and once you get the outer membrane out of the way, try to find the beak. keep water away from beak. if you see some blood, don't panic, mine bled a bit also. try to peel inner membrane away if there are no blood filled vessels. you may be able to unwrap all of membrane, i turned egg upside down and let chick come out of shell a bit to see if the yolk sack had been absorbed, if it was, i let the chick slip into my hand being careful not to damage the umbilical cord if still attatched to egg too much. if it comes off and bleeds a little, i used corn starch to help stop it. the chicks i helped are ok.

i would be careful if you try any of this.

good luck

6. sheps4her

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    Thanks everyone. Debiraymond, I think i will open them up to see what happened. Three others pipped on day 22 but nothing further. Feel bad for the chick I do have... he just seems so lonely in the brooder by himself. I wonder if I had the fan if it would have made a difference...oh well, time to try again.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Get that little guy a mirror, it won't do well if it knows it's alone, so maybe you can trick it into thinking there is another one there.

8. donjr721

donjr721 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    what happened with the other eggs? when i posted on your topic earlier, i was in the middle of hatching, got 24 out of 30. let us know about your eggs, did you crack them open and were there any signs of life. i'm curious, i wanna know. post some pics too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by