Day 23 Some Still Haven't Pipped?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zip, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Zip

Zip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    A while ago me and my Dad bought a used TopHatch incubator from our local Value-Village. The incubator was missing some peices including including the fan, so we tried using it as a still air incubator but none of the eggs hatched. Recently my dad decided to give it another go, replacing the broken fan with the fan from an old computer we had laying around the house and now, 23 days later we have 9 out of the 25 eggs have hatched, (one other pipped, but was upside down, when we realized it was too late [​IMG] ) The morning of the 22nd day I candled the eggs and most seemed to be infirtile, but a few seemed to be fully developed and ready to pip, so I left them to go a bit longer but still nothing. A few nights during the incubation the temperature dropped from 99.5 to 98. Would this slow the hatching? How do I tell if there is any life? and if so, what can I do to encourage the little guys to come out?

We did have a bit of trouble with the last 2 chicks, the humidity in the incubator went down and the membrane dried so we had to help them out a bit. Could this be why the other haven't pipped?

The thing that I don't quite understand is, out of the 25 eggs we put in the bator, 10 were banty eggs, the other 15 were standard. All of the 10 eggs that pipped were Standard eggs, is this just a coincedence?

This is my first time ever hatching eggs from an incubator so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    what did you have the humidity at and you said he was upside down in the egg? did you set the eggs pointed end down in the turner? if you have one and to encourage my chicks to come out i have a tape player with hens clunking on side 1 and baby chicks chirping on side 2 and a egg that looks fully developed may not be you could crack it open and find out it died in the early stages i have done that before when i bury my eggs on day 25 during my incubation i have humidity at 50-60% and day 18 i spike it up to 70-80% and as they hatch it spikes to 95-100% and then it returns to normal as i take the chicks out I had my last 2 chicks hatch out today and its day 22 but they started hatching at day 20 cause of a good moon

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. Zip

Zip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    The humidity was around 50-60 during the incubation, but after the first few chicks began hatching we removed the Hygrometer so we had more room for the chicks. I only think there was a humidity problem because the membrane around were two of the chicks pipped was white, and dried.

We have a manual turner, and had the eggs set on thier sides. The chick that didn't make it pipped on the side that was facing down, when we opened the incubator (we have a clear top) to candle the eggs that hadn't hatched we lifted the egg up and saw that on the side that was facing the bottom of the bator, it had pipped and it's beak was sticking out, it's beak was pale and it was trying to peep but no sound was coming out, I tried helping it hatch, but the membrane was too dry, so I left him in the bator with a warm damp cloth around him, keeping the area he pipped uncovered so he could breath, but he died later that night.

4. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    what did you have the humidity at during the last 3 days until hatch? and yeah if the membrane its dried then the humidity was around 50% cause i had opened my bator when a lot hatched at once and the moisture rings were getting low and it droped quickly and one of the eggs was pipped and i could see how the membrane dried up very quickly and then when it rose back up it was wet again and since he was upside down then he most likely lost air inside the egg when he was suppose to break into the round end where the air sac is

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by