Day 23 under a broody hen and no signs yet...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kycklingpolka, Jul 8, 2016.

1. kycklingpolka

kycklingpolka New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Hello everybody.
    I've had hens for a few years now but this is my first go at hatching. My Yokohama went broody so I bought her some Bantam Wyandotte eggs and today is day 23. She's been sitting tight and yet now, as these last couple of days go by, I have started to lose hope for this clutch of eggs.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Many thanks,

2. IsaacK

IsaacK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Have you checked the eggs to see if they are/were developing at all?

3. kycklingpolka

kycklingpolka New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Hello IsaacK, thanks for answering my post. No I haven't done any checking along the way, I just left her to it. I checked to see if she was sitting well, eating, drinking and all the rest but no, I didn't check the eggs in any way.

4. IsaacK

IsaacK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Since its been more than 21 days id be tempted to find a way to candle at least one without disturbing her, like when she leaves the nest for food etc if you can get lucky enough to see her do it. I just use a little pocket flash light. I haven't hatched many bantam eggs, but they seem to hatch on the early side rather than late. But, that doesn't mean they wont as long as they were fertile and handled right by the person you got them from. I wish I could be more help, hopefully someone else will be able to offer more advice. Please keep us posted on what happens, assuming all is well they should hatch any time.

5. kycklingpolka

kycklingpolka New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Thanks IsaacK, I'll try taking a look.

6. kycklingpolka

kycklingpolka New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Hello again,

I tried candling but couldn't really see anything at all. Maybe my torch isn't bright enough. It's day 28 now and though my hen is still sitting tight I am going to hop her out of the broody box so that I can give another hen, who has gone broody this week, a turn.
    Does anyone think that this is too rash and that I should leave the first hen on her eggs and build another broody box for the newly broody hen?

Thanks for reading this.

7. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    at day 28, I'd say that this is a a case of non fertile eggs. No offense but I think you'd be gambling the health of a second bird for a lost cause. I'd get the current broody off of those duds, and make sure that her weight is good and take care of her since she has wasted so much energy on eggs that were never going to hatch. I'm sorry that this has happened to you both. Good luck in the future. [​IMG]

8. kycklingpolka

kycklingpolka New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Hi tj74roberts
    Thanks for replying to my post. Now that I read my post again I can see that it doesn't make as much sense as it should. I don't mean another broody hen on the same eggs, I mean I have another broody hen and I'd like to let her have a turn on some new eggs.
    Thanks for your input regarding it being day 28 and so they can't have been fertile, I think you're right, it's just hard to turf her off them when she's still sitting and waiting.
    I'll move her tomorrow and pick up some new fertile eggs at the poultry market next week.
    Thanks again.

9. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    Oh, you're welcome. I know this whole chicken thing can be frustrating at times but it's totally worth it in the end. Do you have a broody breaker cage? It is an empty wire cage with no nesting material and just food and water? The air under her bottom for a few (5-7) days should break her of being broody. But just so you know the urge to hatch is most likely strong with this one and you may have to keep an eye on her. Good luck. I wish you better luck with he next one. Maybe with the next one you should candle around the 10th to 11th day and see if there is any veins or dark spots.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by