day 23...waiting for the one last egg to finish hatching.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fluffy-Butt-Farms, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    ok, i had 10 chicks come out yesterday. the first ones were ok, and they got stickier from there. the last one, the membrane was totally white so i wrapped it in a wet paper towel, and now it's alive and well.... (the humidity has never dropped below 65 and when i did open the incubator i put in a hot wet towel to compensate for humidity loss)

(for all of you that leave them alone, dont bash me.... i did what i thought was right)

i used a still air and had no idea that you're suppose to rotate the eggs thru incubating, so when i candled right before lockdown, there were some that did not fill their eggs as much as others.

should i take the lid off and candle the other eggs to see if some are too big and stuck, or if the ones that were smaller are moving around in there at all? or do i just let it go til day 24ish? i'd really hate to lose any since they did so well up til now.

if the last one to hatch had a whit membrane, would it be too hard for the other chicks to pip?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

many said to leave them, but just as you said no one will blame you, that's your right.
    i myself also open bator to move the babies out since they learn soccer inside bator.

no, in my opinion, better to leave them doing their job till 25th and bury them, but if you heard *sound* from the egg and still no pipping, cracking or whatever ing ing . you can give it a candle and if you think he can't break it out of shell you can give it a help by make a little(very little) crack on the air sack, that should help him (i think) but many will against my opinion, all is depending your choice to choose not help or help, candling or no candling.

or better wait some hours and see others opinion.

good luck. [​IMG]

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Give it another day, then crack one to see whats going on in that eggs. Which ones were these?

4. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    out of my 9 austrolops only 1 has hatched. the rest were all good...but a little small inside the shell...like i said, i didn't know you had to rotate the eggs around a still air...think they should put that in the instruction book. so im gonna be heartbroken if they were alive and i killed them. lol. i have to go pull one out that's all dry later today, so i'll see if i see any more pips before i yank him out.

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Keep us posted!

6. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    I think if you're heading past day 21 a little assistance is OK, I'd worry about the little gals drying out too.
    I hope you get at least a few more. [​IMG]

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If you think they are stuck to their shell, you can try misting the egg a little around the edges to see if that will help.

I would go ahead and candle one to see if you can see any movement. .

8. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    well, there's only 1 more live egg that cheeped at me. because i'm at the end of day 23, i chipped a hole in it so it has better airflow. the membrane isn't white, (humitidy in the bator is 90 percent and i can t get it lower. think i should open it a bit to get it lower?) temp is ok, veins still showing in membrane, but the beak is through. so hopefully tonight, it will gather it's little strength and be the last one to survive.

final count so far without this one is...
    5 astrolop (one with boots and a bandaid holding it's legs together)
    1 cochin something or other
    2 total mystery eggs
    1 turken that i have to put to sleep. was hoping he would die on his own, but he didn't so now i have to be the one to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by