day 24 and 5 eggs havent hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepmama12, Jan 4, 2013.

1. peepmama12

peepmama12 New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Help!! This is my first time at this.It's day 24 and 5 of my incubated chicken eggs haven't hatched. Should I assume they aren't going to at this point or wait?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Have you candled them? Its probably not good if it passed 24 days! I know its hard on your first try, hopefully the next time will be better !

3. peepmama12

peepmama12 New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Thanks for your response. I started with 24 eggs..candled them at 7 an 14 days. 5 were clear still on day 14, so discarded them. So with 19 left, we had 1 hatch on day 20, then 10 hatched on day 21, and 3 hatched on day 22. So, I have 14 little peeps.. I guess it was a good hatch. I just didn't want to throw the last 5 out if they may have a chance.

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I think you should tap on them and listen for return tap You can then chip a piece of shell off the big end not membrane and see if it moves if so cover hole with wet paper towel put back in lbut if you got that many...good hatch.Usually some dont hatch

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. peepmama12

peepmama12 New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Thanks Roxannemc. Going to try to figure them out.
    : ). This has been so exciting!

6. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
  7. peepmama12

peepmama12 New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Thanks conchis.. I saw that too. It worries me, because everything I've read says don't get your eggs wet? Geez.. I'm a nervous wreck! : /

8. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Naw ! you should be fine as long theres no cracks or holes on the egg! Its a fun learning experience !

9. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    im with u on this ... we are also on our 24 th day; with only one out, one membraned and one jsut pipped...
    am waiting one more day and will do the sink or swim test...

good luck.

10. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I agree about not gettingthem wet...only if you are almosty positive they are dead and even then ..i have tried this with still iffy results. Actually mine said they were alive and they werent
    Others have used it and thought dead and they werent ...so i dont know
    Open ing to peek is desperate too but its a black and white conclusion then.By the way no movement i touch the chick if its a almost ready to hatch one...if not ijust keep opening more and membrane then to see what happened. good idea anyway but best done on a paper towel and outside too if you can. .See how far along they were when they died
    But alive... Touched It should move then for sure.but opening should get it going too if its not dead..

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by