Day 24 and not a peep

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cheraboo, Apr 8, 2009.

1. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    This is our first try with eggs so I'm a bit worried. We stopped the egg turner at day 18 and have not touched the eggs since then. Temp has been right around 100 til just now ... Jacob checked it and it was up to 110. Now I'm afraid we baked our babies [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    110? They're dead. Trash the eggs.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww, I have no idea what to say except I'm very sorry to hear of your trouble. Hang in there, the first batch is always the hardest, be it to watch or the loss.
    Hang in there! [​IMG]

4. If its day 24 and no pips and with temp that high , i would take egg out and put small hole in big end of egg , the air sac and peel some shell away gently and check them before pitching them out.

Hope that helps some.

5. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:We'll give it a try and see what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed. [​IMG]

6. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    What you need to be concerned about is not these eggs but the spike in your incubator temp. I'm guessing that you would like to give hatching another try? If so, then you need to figure out the temp.

Did you 'play' with the temp at all during the incubation?

Was there a sudden change of temp in the room where you have the incubator?

These are the important questions.

7. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:The temp has been consistant these past few weeks. The 'bator is next to my bed, so no changes in room temp. The only thing I can think of is one of the other kids messed with the temp. We have cats but the temp control is a knob so I don't think they could have done it.

8. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:We'll give it a try and see what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All of the chicks are dead. One of them wasn't even really developed, so that one was gone a long time ago. The other four still had about half of their yolks left. They were fully formed so I'm a chicken killer [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    No, just a learner.

If you are sure about the temps and your humidity was fine then I've give it another shot.

Kids will be kids.

10. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    [​IMG] soo sorry for you loss.. [​IMG] hope you have better results in the future

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by