Day 24 and NOTHING!! HELP!! UPDATE-They are still alive!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willow, Apr 29, 2009.

1. willow

willow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Sherman, NY
    Ok, I 2 hatch on day 19, I thought they were the shipped eggs but they were mine. [​IMG] 1 hatched on it's own, the other got stuck to the dry membrane but I caught it in time. They are both doing great.

I still have 36 shipped eggs in the 'bator and none of them have pipped. No smells. Should I leave them in longer? If so, how long? [​IMG] Should I candle them again? Should I just do the eggtopsys?

I am so upset about this I don't know what to do. I'm really thinking of just not incubating anymore.

I have them in my old round Sears 'bator, temps have been good, humidity good. I put them in egg cartons this year and "turned" the 'bator. At least last year I got some eggs to hatch, this year none.

HELP!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    I would take one egg out and chip away at the air cell end and see what's up - if it's dead, I would keep going. Since you had some of your own eggs hatch, especially early, I wouldn't expect it to be a low temp problem....

3. willow

willow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Sherman, NY
    Ok, I opened 4. 3 died very recently, the last was alive but not fully formed. It's intestines where out. Boy, this is messed up!! I'm just going to leave them several more days.

4. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I would suspect that they didn't make it. Very sorry![​IMG]

I agree with Newdock.

I 've had really good luck and really bad luck with shipped eggs. ...so many variables. Since some of your eggs hatched, I am thinking that this at least part of the problem.

If you are using a digital temp/hygrometer maybe verify by doing some wet bulb reading to compare.

Also, I have MUCH better hatch rates when I set/adjust humidity by egg weight loss than just looking at hygrometer readings.

So sad very so many don't make it!![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by