day 24 and still not a single HATCH ! Why ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaChic21, Dec 14, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Have a hen that gone broody November 20. None of her eggs hatched. The eggs don't smell and I've tried looking under a flash light but couldn't see anything. It looked like what you'll normally see an egg during the day. So what do I do ? She won't get off from it and the eggs won't hatch. I made her a broody home in the garage, should I move her and the eggs and provide more heated light ?

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Is the egg develop? What is the temperature in your area? Let hope they are not frozen solid. You may want to leave with the hen for several days. Good luck!

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    are you saying the eggs look the same as a grocery store egg when you use the flashlight to look inside? If so then they are not fertile

4. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    yeah, that's how it looks :-( but hubby was in the way when we tried to look at it last night. He said not to touch it. I did anyways and the eggs were in the nest box and there is a heating light there, hubby was in the way for not moving so I could go to a darker spot for me to see it. I'll try again tonight without him.
    The temp right now is in 20's but with the heavy wind feels like in mid 10's news weatherman said. So should I move her and the eggs to the garage ?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    you can pick up the egg cup it in your hand shine the light down through the top end of the egg. if the egg is not completely black inside except for a very small light spot at the top then I would say they are done for. If they are completely clear like a light bulb they were never fertile in the first place. There is no harm in touching them.

6. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    It is always so sad when a broody works so hard with no results.
    We out a day old chick in for ours and she did great with it and was soo happy.
    This may not be an option for you.
    Could your days count be off ?
    I am sorry for your experience.
    You do have a rooster.right?

7. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I have 4 Roosters, saw them mating with Robert the Rooster several times. So when she went broody after a month having the rooster, I thought she was going to have babies and made a nice broody house for her out in the garage. I might have to buy a fertile eggs or something and move the eggs and the mom to the garage. I feel so sorry for her and for my 8 yr old son who's been looking after her :-( I've never bought a fertile egg before. I'm also looking at the options of doing a homemade incrubador just incase broody's eggs don't work too. I don't know whatelse to do [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  8. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Hope my question was not offensivve.
    It's just I have read posts that people really did not know the basics.

9. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    I, personally, wouldn't take the chance with getting more fertile eggs. That means she is going to have to sit for at least another 21 days or so and there's a good chance she'll give up before then.

Is there anyone nearby that you can get a day old chick or two from?

10. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Just saw you are in NJ, if you post on the NJ thread in the "Where am I? Where are you" section you might have some luck finding someone in your area with a couple chicks. Just a thought!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by