1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Day 24 ..chicks dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alison98, Oct 9, 2017.

1. alison98

alison98 In the Brooder

May 12, 2015
    My little silkie girl went broody so on the 16th of September i got 3 cream legbar eggs for her. I candled at day 7 and all seemed to be going well. Then on day 20ish I thought the hen should go into lockdown (she doesnt really know what to do brooding wise, i have to manually lift her off to feed every morning or she wont move) so she stayed put from then but unfortunately soiled the nest (not on the eggs, it was a bit behjnd them) so I think thats where it went wrong maybe.

a day or so past and nothing from the eggs so i had to lift her off to eat and poop again. Now its day 24 and the eggs havent done a thing. This morning I took them from her and put them in my incubator which was running. I candled them briefly and all were properly developed in the last stage, filling up the whole egg with good air sacs. I didnt see any movement though.
    Are they dead? Ill be so disappointed because the silkies mom died and now she is on her own and i thought this would fix it but now she will still be by herself..

2. SeaPolka

SeaPolka Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Sometimes chicks just don't make it. You can candle again and see if they've pipped internally, you'll see a shadowed triangle shape in the air sac, if you can't then I'd say they're probably dead. You could buy her a few chicks and slip them under. Sorry this hatch isn't working, good luck

3. tuesdaze

tuesdaze Chirping

Jun 1, 2016
    In this situation, if there are no external pips, I would water candle the eggs before I call it quits. :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: