Day 24 egg still viable???

RTBAlvarez

In the Brooder
May 29, 2017
Hello all, my broody hen just hatched 11 out of 12 eggs on day 21-22, and one was left cold in the nest after she got out to tend to the rest so I put it in the incubator. I've been candeling it once a day and it has a good air cell and I see something pulsating near the air cell but no big movements. Could it still hatch? How long should I wait? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

Question, was this egg set at the same time as the others that hatched. If so it has a problem---being it has not hatched. Could have rolled out the nest for a while before she put it back. If it was added later---it might still hatch when it gets to its due hatch date.

You stated they hatched on day 21 and 22----do you count the day you set them as day 1 or day 0 because they should hatch late day 20 and early day 21??

I set them all on Friday may 5 and they started hatching sometime overnight of Thursday into Friday May 26 there were 3 chicks in the morning, and by Saturday morning the rest were hatched and fluffy, except this one lonely egg. I candled it again today and nothing is moving now so I think I'm going to call it quits with #12.

Hello all, my broody hen just hatched 11 out of 12 eggs on day 21-22, and one was left cold in the nest after she got out to tend to the rest so I put it in the incubator. I've been candeling it once a day and it has a good air cell and I see something pulsating near the air cell but no big movements. Could it still hatch? How long should I wait? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!
Question, was this egg set at the same time as the others that hatched. If so it has a problem---being it has not hatched. Could have rolled out the nest for a while before she put it back. If it was added later---it might still hatch when it gets to its due hatch date.

You stated they hatched on day 21 and 22----do you count the day you set them as day 1 or day 0 because they should hatch late day 20 and early day 21??

Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some great feedback from PD- Riverman, so I'll just say hello and wish you well with your last egg.

So as a follow up, I did an "egg-topsy" today, and turns out the chick had a major malformation exencephaly, where the top of the skull and the top beak fails to form, and the brain tissue is kind of just floating there. No wonder she couldn't pip ☹️ I'm sure glad I didn't intervene and just let her die in the shell. I didn't take a photo but here is a link to a photo that looked just like my chick https://goo.gl/images/BF5rPK

Back
Top Bottom