1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 24.. no chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlovernoteater, Mar 1, 2008.

1. chickenlovernoteater

chickenlovernoteater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2008
    I ordered JG and incubated them. I have incubated eggs but have NEVER had this trouble before.

Temperature and humidy are right, they have been turned enough, nothing is different from any of my previous hatched except I have never done the Jersey Giants. Today is day 24, no egg movement, no piping. I candled the eggs yesterday, and all were moving. In the evening, one had stopped moving and i noticed red in the shell. We went ahead and tried to pip for it, but no luck, had stopped breathing. It did not even absorb the yolk, but other than that was fully formed. The others are still alive in shells, but the eggs aren't rocking, they aren't peeping, and of course not piping. What in the world do I do???

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    When you candled did you notice if they were pipped into the aircell?....

3. chickenlovernoteater

Mar 1, 2008
    They are not.. I am not sure what to do, especially if they haven't absorbed the yolk..

How many times can I safely candle them since they are this far along?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If its day 24 it won't hurt to candle and see if they have gotten into the aircell.....I don't help chicks out...your call what you want to do....I'd leave them in the bator a few more days...your temps and humidity could have been on the low side and thats why they haven't pipped yet...my opinion, my thoughts...

5. chickenlovernoteater

Mar 1, 2008
    Ok, I will candle them again tonight to see if anything has changed.. Then I guess I will just leave them in there and see what happens..

6. lannabun

lannabun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    indiana
    any news ?

7. chickenlovernoteater

Mar 1, 2008
    I candled, and only one I saw for sure move now. No one is piping.. no eggs rocking... Don't know what to do.

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by