Day 24. No peeping, no pipping. Candling green eggs is an exercise in futility. Now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Betsysbabyservices, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Betsysbabyservices

Betsysbabyservices Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    it's day 24. We had peeping/chirping on day 22. Nothing happened after that. Today we candled the eggs. They look exactly as they did on day 21: big air pocket, the rest of the egg is dark. They smell fine and don't sound like anything. Are they dead?
    would the air pocket have changed? should we gently pry one open to see what is going on?

2. Betsysbabyservices

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    the chicken midwife is coming this afternoon to help us open the eggs. that way if they are dead he'll be the first to see instead of me.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would have located the air cell and made a small hole in the egg shel big enough to shine a flash light in there and look for breathing movement. If I still couldn't tell, make the hole larger so I could touch the embryo with my finger to feel for movement. I then proceed slowy and continue to peel the egg and outermost membrane.

4. Betsysbabyservices

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    thank you for this, that's wonderful. I have a friend who lived on a chicken farm and he's going to come later today to do this for/with us... thank heavens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by