Day 24! No sign on hatching

kgladman

Hatching
Oct 14, 2016
Hi all! I have the styrofoam hova-bator incubator and right out of the package it didn't seem to go above a temperature of 98/99degrees.
We had a bunch of fertilized eggs from our chickens (light Sussex) and decided to give these chicks a try anyway.
It is day 24 and 5 of the 9 eggs are rocking and have sounds of tapping but NO peeps yet.
What are he chances that they will hatch still?
I don't want to handle them too much (candling them) or would that be a good idea?

Is the humidity knocked up high enough? Maybe it could be an issue with that? At some point I would think that you would want to candle them so that you can tell what they are doing in there.

Day 24 is quite a bit late, but I did just have a broody have chicks hatch on day 22.

Hi all! I have the styrofoam hova-bator incubator and right out of the package it didn't seem to go above a temperature of 98/99degrees.
We had a bunch of fertilized eggs from our chickens (light Sussex) and decided to give these chicks a try anyway.
It is day 24 and 5 of the 9 eggs are rocking and have sounds of tapping but NO peeps yet.
What are he chances that they will hatch still?
I don't want to handle them too much (candling them) or would that be a good idea?

I actually had 2 chicks hatch this year on day 26. I was planning on tossing them on day 25, but hadn't gotten around to it. Is your incubator forced air? That seems too low for still air and that would make them late.

Looks what's happening! Day 24.5
First time doing chicks. I hope at leased this one survives.

Looks what's happening! Day 24.5
First time doing chicks. I hope at leased this one survives.

Thats great news. Slighter low temps can delay hatches (as can other variables). Hope a few others decide to say hello to the world soon!

No more hatched :(
Just the one came out. ! he was very gooey-and slow to get on his feet, eat and drink but we have helped him along and he's doing well now! Photo attached.
The other 4 all of a sudden stopped wiggling and sadly we found a whole bunch of yolkie babies when we opened them. I'm assuming that was due to the low temperature problems!

Back
Top Bottom