DAY 24!! Still nothing-what to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by My 3 Sons, May 30, 2008.

1. My 3 Sons

My 3 Sons New Egg

May 28, 2008
    California
    None of them made it. I opened them up on Sat. and they were pretty fully formed but the yolk sak was not absorbed yet. They seemed to be dry. I am NOT going to do this again. Too stressful, I'd rather go to the feed store and get a new chick and love it right away. My other chicks doing so great. I even nursed the sick one and I named her yesturday "Lady Cluck". Thanks for your help.

We are on day 24 and still nothing-what should I do. Still movement inside the eggs (3). Should I put down a piece of paper towel or leave them be at this point? Should I keep turning them or not-some guidance would be great! Should I keep candling them at night? I am feeling helpless!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  2. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Just make sure the humidity (water level), ventilation (air), and temperature are adjusted according to the incubator manufacturer's instructions, then leave them alone. Don't turn them (you're supposed to stop turning after day # 18). Don't open the incubator. Opening the incubator or taking them out too often can delay hatching because it cools the eggs down. If they don't hatch by day 30, throw them out.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. My 3 Sons

My 3 Sons New Egg

May 28, 2008
    California
    Thanks Anne I'm just going to leave them be and see what happens. That way I'm not tripping on them and worrying all the time. This is not as fun as I thought it would be due to how stressful it is. My store bought chicks are doing great and they keep me from crying.

4. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Yep, there's not much else you can do. Just take a deep breath and remind yourself that if they hatch, they hatch, and if they don't, they don't.

I have been raising & hatching chickens for 17 years now and every time when hatching draws near I STILL have to take a deep breath and remind myself to STEP AWAY FROM THE INCUBATOR and let nature take it's course! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by