Day 24--theyre fully developed--crack one open?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kryptoniteqhs, Feb 27, 2009.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Ok so Im on day 24....4PM on the 27th will be day 25.....I have seen 0 rocking, peeping, pipping. I would normally give them another full week, but I have 41 eggs that were shipped to me by several different people and theyre waiting to get into that bator....I candled them and theyre all fully developed, but no one has pipped the air cell. No one is moving, but I dont know how they could move with the little room they have in there. I tried to see if I could see heart beats and I thought I may have seen them on a couple, but it was so faint that I think it was just wishful thinking. Any advice? I will absolutely not crack any open until tomorrow night at the earliest, but only if the majority of you gives me the green light. I will wait a few more days if I need to.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I would break into the air cell. You can do that without injuring the chick if it is still alive.....are these chicken eggs????

3. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Yes theyre Black Rosecomb Bantams.....what will pipping into the aircell do if they havent pipped their end of the aircell?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    UGH! tough choice...i think i would open the very top of the air cell on one also...[​IMG]

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    but again...what would that do for them if theyre not pipped into the aircell yet?

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I am not shure its as much as for what it would do FOR them as if they are alive it wont HURT them. But I am new and I could be wrong.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    you could touch them and see if they are alive, and if they are dead you can make room for your new eggs.

8. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    so whats the point? lol

9. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    oooo so were not talking about a little pin hole were talkin big enuf to stick a finger in? or poke them with the end of a pencil?

10. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I just put black coppers into hatch and and even with the dark eggs could see the chicks moving. If your hatching lighter eggs you should be able to candle from the top and slowly turn the egg and maybe not in all but in some you should see them jerk from the light. If not the amount of days unless your temp was low they should have hatched. If You cant see them move I would definetly take a pointed knife and punch a hole in the very top of the egg and slowly break away pieces of the top until you can see down into the egg. If it is dead them I would do them one by one. if its alive then you know to wait longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by