Day 24 - they're gone... :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantam Chase, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    [​IMG] After peeking for 2 days straight and seeing feathers at the exact same place I figured my overdue eggs were gone - and they were. I cracked each open carefully at the air cell - the first chick pipped into the pocket and died - did not see excess liquid so I don't believe it drowned, plus my humidity was good. The yolk seemed to be half-absorbed. The other three seemed to be a day, maybe two behind this chick - which could be due to hotter or colder zones in the incubator I assume.

At lockdown my temperature dropped to 97 for two days - do you think this is why they died - maybe that's what did the three in, and the more developed chick was weakened to the point where it couldn't hatch?

I'm disappointed but not discouraged, but was hoping for a successful trial hatch before my 'fancy' eggs arrive... sigh [​IMG]

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I'm glad that your not discouraged. [​IMG]

I don't really know why your hatch failed. I could guess but that is all it would be. Maybe the answer is to find out the answers to your problems. Do you know why your temp dropped to 97 and how to correct it if it happens with your fancy eggs? If you think you have hot and cold spots, could a fan be installed to move the air around more?

Here is hoping [​IMG] that your next hatch is a good one.

3. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    My best guess is that when the auto-turner was removed, the motor was not there to generate those 2 degrees of heat... I do not think I fiddled with the temperature at all. I charted temp and humidity daily, so I know exactly when it happened and will watch for it this time around. Part of the issue is that the incubator is at my parent's (they have the nice basement with the steady temperatures) and I was only checking once a day. This time i'll run over in the morning before work as well as after to check the eggs. I may get a fan or at least be sure to rotate eggs from inside to outside in case it was a 'hot spot' issue.

Definitely a learning experience, that's for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by