Day 25 and one pip

chic mama

Hatching
Mar 19, 2023
Well, this is my first hatching experience. When we candled at 2 weeks, we had 39 viable eggs. We've had 18 hatch, 4 more died. I think I had some problems with the humidity somewhere in the middle. A couple of them seemed to be shrink-wrapped. I was able to help one of them but the other one didn't make it

Now we're on day 25 and a half, and there is another pipped egg. It has been recommended that I just let nature take its course and wait and see if it makes it out (which seems unlikely) and that is what I plan to do. My question is how long should I wait? My house is really starting to smell bad. :barnie

Thanks!
Chic

Probably wait till it hatches. If it hatches okay see if any others have pipped, if not, candle to see if there is any movement. If they don't move discard the dead ones.

Welcome to BYC @chic mama

Day 25 is quite late but the 21 days is just a guide. Just personally I have found late chicks to be the weaker ones. But it’s not unknown for them to hatch successfully. I would wait for the 24 hour mark after external pip before checking it. It may or may not need help which only you can decide on but this is a good read … https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Thanks! I think it's possible that that pip has been in there for 24 hours. I noticed it this morning when I was taking other dead eggs out. This one was laid up against the side of the incubator, so I didn't see it. You think you would try to help it get out if it has had a pip for 24 hours this late in the game?

Back
Top Bottom