Day 25 - Caught in time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cqranch, Nov 24, 2008.

1. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Had 14 eggs still in bator that hadn't hatched at day 25. I hadn't been paying much attention to these since I'd been deer hunting, didn't figure any would hatch. So since I have three sets of eggs being shipped today, needed to get the bator emptied and cleaned, so was taking the 14 out.. no chirping or scratching noises from any. I open each one to see how far they had made it. Most appeared to have expired before day 18 or so.. still had large yolks. One had broken through the inner membrane to the air cell. Then I got the surprise.. two others had broken through to the air cell, but not pipped and were still alive. Membrane was a bit dry, humidity had been down to about 45. I quickly got the upper half of shell off, pulled the membrane back (very little bleeding), wrapped them in warm paper towels and stuck them back in bator. This morning, both were out of the shells the rest of the way walking around and fluffing up.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG]

That's great!! I hope someone else pipes in, cause there is a reason (either humidity or temp) that is a common cause for death that late. But good thing you got some more babies!! [​IMG]

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

way to go cqranch! Guess there is another upside to deer hunting! LOL!

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Wow... good thing to know. I think I'll keep an eye on any of my late ones just incase as well. Thanks for the report.

6. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Good thing you checked them when you did!
    So... Did you get your deer?

7. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Had two tags.. got a doe open weekend.. nothing this past weekend.. saw some more does, but wanted a buck. Have to wait til next year. [​IMG]

8. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Something to look forward to then. You can always have chicken dinner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by