day 25 i made huge mistake....i think

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woogie g3, Aug 8, 2010.

1. woogie g3

woogie g3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    ok its day 25 for 1 of my eggs so i thought it was dead. so i thought it would be fine to open the egg and take a look. and i opened carefully when i broke the white rubbery part there was blood!! and then the chick moved. did i kill it??? was it going to hatch eventually??
    i was wondering because i have some more eggs due anytime!? i need answers before i mess up any more. this was my first time so i really am unsure i put the lil lifeless chick back in bator after it moved

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    What kind of eggs are they? What temperature and humidity do you have them at?

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Put a warm/wet paper towel over the egg to help prevent shrink wrapping and leave it alone. Like prev. poster asked, what type of eggs are you hatching? Also like prev. poster what temp/humidity has the bator been at? Low temps make for late hatches and low humidity at this point can be a problem too.

4. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

I had posted this before to someone elses similar problem, but before you go breaking eggs float them in a bowl of warm water. Will only take a second to see if there is a live chick inside as they will start rockin' & rollin"! Works everytime for me and helps to prevent that bummed-out feeling that comes with " uh-oh, that one would have hatched" Best to you, chalk it up to learning...[​IMG]

5. woogie g3

Aug 5, 2010
    the one i killed was a RIR and black sex link mixes and the eggs due to hatch anytime are silkies and due in a few days a RIR.

well idk what the humidity is but my bator has water trays in the bottom and i filled them up. and my temp has been about 99 but one day it was like 98 but one day it was like 103 but i don't have a good thermometer but i have a professional one coming in the mail

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    At day 25, I seriously doubt it was going to hatch. It only takes about 21 days for a chicken to hatch; 28 days for ducks, geese, turkeys.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thats only if that egg WAS 21 days old... it looks like he/she has eggs due at different intervals in the same incubator. Which isn't a good thing to begin with, but maybe they lost track of what day the particular egg was on.

8. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Do they move a lot? Like, impossible to mistake it for just the floating motion? Reason I ask, I have eggs at the end of day 22, and no action, but I know they are full of chick, so hopefully they are just late, and not all dead. Twice during incubation, kittens knocked the plug out of the wall and not sure how long they cooled, after the first time I could still see movement, second time was later in the incubation period and chicks had definitely developed. Paid a lot for these eggs, and hoping something survives. Just tried the floating thing on a few, big end bobs right up, but not sure they were moving on their own after that. Does the heat make the chick move around in there? Oh please be ok.

9. woogie g3

Aug 5, 2010
    Quote:Thats only if that egg WAS 21 days old... it looks like he/she has eggs due at different intervals in the same incubator. Which isn't a good thing to begin with, but maybe they lost track of what day the particular egg was on.

i actually have the eggs marked so i know when the due dates are and that one was day 25 i also have it marked one a calendar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by