Day ~25, no hatch??? Very worried

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MasterZii, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MasterZii

MasterZii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Sarasota, Florida
    I bought 6 eggs from a farmer on Craigslist, and he shipped them to me on the 27th of Feb.
    I got them at my front door on March 1st. Immediately put them in the incubator.

After a week, 4/6 developed veins, and were moving.
    Around week 2, the veins of one egg dissapeared completely, but no blood ring. Is it a goner?

It's March 22nd, so they were supposed to hatch yesterday at the latest. No movement in the last 3.
    No blood ring, temps/humidity normal. If I candle them, there is the slightest hint of veins remaining.
    But not visible in one of the 3. The chick takes up nearly all the egg space now. No pipping either.

Really really worried. This is my first batch. What should I do? :(
    I can try to take a photo is that helps? Although, it will be hard to see.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

There's not a whole lot you can do. If they were shipped on the 17th and didn't arrive until the 1st, those eggs were out there a long time getting tossed about and ageing. I'm actually surprised that you had any development at all. No veins is the first sign of a quitter. If there are still veining this late, I would check all the thermometers to make sure they are accurate in case it's a matter of low temps. Otherwise, I'd say the shipping caused too much damage to have a successful hatch. At day 25 I wouldn't hold out hope for healthy hatchers. [​IMG] Sorry to hear about the hatch. I wouldn't be happy that it took that long to recieve the eggs.

3. MasterZii

Mar 22, 2016
    Sarasota, Florida
    OOPS! My bad! I meant the 27th! Ahh! That makes a huge difference.

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Ok...lol Yeah, that's better...lol

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would check the accuracy of your thermometers first off since there is still life at day 25. What kind of incubator are you using? What did you use for humidity during incubation?

6. MasterZii

Mar 22, 2016
    Sarasota, Florida
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/371542459137?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This, and bottled water, that I poured into the tray.
    The veins are VERY thin. About 1/5th of the width of a human hair. It's almost impossible to see, but they are there. Not many.
    Two eggs have no visible blood vessels. (One that lost it about a week ago) And one just 2 days ago.
    There were strong visible veins for at least 2 of the eggs, a couple days ago, They have been shrinking since.

How can I make sure they're still alive? I have a strong flashlight, so I can see their little wings/feet even right now. But no movement.
    One DID move yesterday. Can't see anything today. All I know, is that it's at LEAST day 25. Assuming they all hatched on the 27th of Feb.
    (OOPS I SAID 17th of APRIL) I'm such an idiot. Replace 17th of APRIL with 27th of FEBRUARY!!!! So 25 days.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Wait a minute...I didn't pay as good attention as I thought. If you put them in on March 1st, then day 21 is today. So they really aren't late.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It just occured to me that today's date is the 22. I was going by your title of it being day 25 and didn't even double check. You start your count 24 hours AFTER set so day 1 would have started on March 2nd. You're eggs aren't technically late, but I would expect to see or hear internal pipping at this point. If your temps were slightly low, (never trust an unchecked thermometer) then you could see a delay of a day or two. So I would give them 24 hours and recheck. How did the air cells look at lockdown?

9. MasterZii

Mar 22, 2016
    Sarasota, Florida
    Really? But they were shipped in Florida, and it must have been over 40c when they were in that box!

OKAY.Here are some photos. No pipping at all. Can't see any more movement. Temps seem to have been OK the whole time. Can't see veins in these pics, but I think there still are some

EGG 1: (has a very strangely shaped air sac. Almost like the figure 8
    [​IMG]

EGG 2: (You can clearly see this chick in this one)
    [​IMG]

EGG 3: (Hard to see anything, but the air sac is perfectly oval, and very visible)
    [​IMG]

10. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Yeah its 21 days at 99.5 so you are still in the window
    increase humidity too
    good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by