Day 25... OMG Really?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelyn, Nov 17, 2010.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    This has now become the weirdest hatch of my life. I am buying a digital temp guage. Somehow mine that I calibrated, fell out of calibration. It had to of. A low temp is the only reason THEY would STILL be going!

Last night, I went to break one open and toss them all. I mean, come on, day 24? really? I wanted my husband to learn and he's been involved with this hatch too for the first time. So I let him do the breaking.

I was just going to knock it on the side of an empty jar, so I could look and put a lid on it when I was done. He wanted practice (good thing!) and carefully nicks away at the shell, starting in the air cell.

We saw a small-ish chick, furry looking. Went for the membrane, no movement. Blood! Ah! STOP! We both look, and it moves. So I grab it back and put it back into the incubator, with a giant gaping hole in the top. This was last night.

This morning, if I wait long enough at the window, there is movement. So we didn't kill it. It's been 12 hours since we messed with it.

I think what has to happen, because it is now effectively "shrink wrapped" in a way, as soon as I see the blood not actively in the membrane anymore, I need to make a breathing hole? Humidity is on point right now, and I really don't want to pull it out and ruin it.. but I don't want it stuck either.

I wish it would have moved when I candled it! But it's still alive because of husband teaching. I would have unknowingly killed it.

So here we are, day 25, with visibility into one of the eggs to watch movement. Geeze. There's a first for everything, no matter how many eggs you've hatched. Next hatch, I'm going digital.

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wow! I hope it makes it!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, you might drip some warm water on the exposed membrane, to wet it up again. I've done that...

I have an egg that's peeping, no pip, on day 25, myself. Four others hatched, and 3 of those hatched on days 22 and 23. I'm at work now, so if I hear peeping tonight, I'm gonna try to isolate which of the four "leftover" eggs is the live one and babysit it tonight.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup, temps too low.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by