Day 25 & Ready to Say Goodbye?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoosePijamas, Oct 12, 2017.

1. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    It was my first (and possibly) only hatch. I acquired some eggs and while I've always wanted chickens, this was a bit rushed. I thought it was "set & forget" but I was Day 10 into this and then realized I was in way over my head! The fact that 3 hatched is nothing but a miracle honestly. I got one of those styrofoam incubators. Temp was pretty steady for the most part. Humidity in the 50-60% range (I think?) and then lockdown at 70%. Current temp is 99/100 and humidity is at 70%-75%. I have opened the lid several times at this point to remove duds, live chicks, a float test, and once a day nighttime candeling.

Anyway, out of the 8, 3 hatched (so stinking adorable). 3 were duds at different points in the process. 1 has trouble hatching (breached) and I helped her hatch. She ended up having mushy chick syndrome and died last night in my hands (I'm still a mess. I'm talking puffy eyes, mascara down the cheeks, took the day off work, MESS!!).

1 egg is left. We are at day 25. Float test is good. I have a rhythmic back and forth movement on the egg. It kind of reminds me of the labored breathing of the chick that passed away.

There is no pip. I think I've heard a weak chirp from inside every so often.

After the disasterous experience of the chick that died because of the assisted hatching, I'm not to keen to help this one hatch. I'm not saying I won't do it....but I may need some serious therapy afterwards.

My thoughts are the following and would appreciate any input:

1) My fear is that this one also has that mushy chick infection which is the reason it has not hatched.

2) It's dying a slow death.

3) Waiting any longer for the inevitable seems cruel - for both of us.

4) I have 3 chicks....should I get 1 more from the store and introduce it to the flock (after taking all necessary precautions) so that there is an even number? (This might be a better question for another section of the forum)

5) Not gonna lie. Would love to have a chick hatch at day 30 and her/him be healthy. I feel those chances grow slimmer by the day.

At this point, I would love any input, personal experiences, and quickest way to let the chick pass if it won't be hatching.

Thank you in advance.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What was your temperature all throughout incubation? Was it the same 99 to 100 it is now? And is your incubator still air or forced air?

Can you tell upon candling if the chick is internally pipped? If so, it will look like this:

Pork Pie Ken likes this.
  3. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    Yeah, incubation temp was between 99/100 for the most part. It was 98.9 at times and at the highest was 100.5. It's a forced air. I don't see a definite pip like your picture, but there is a shadow on the lower end of the air sac that wasn't there initially.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
  5. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    Thank you for your response. I'll see if the egg is still moving when I get home from work. At the very least I may do an eggtopsy to see what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: