Day 25 shrink wrapped chicks, 10/38 still alive

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msheets, May 16, 2010.

1. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    I have 10 that are still alive, 2 with their beaks through the membrane (they did not pip themselves). The rest died in their shells, I believe they were just too undeveloped since their eggs were still full of runny yolk. Every chick left has a about a quarter sized yolk sac still attached to them with visible blood vessels on the membrane. I've got them warpped in a wet cloth in the bathroom, I turn the hot shower on every 30 min & let it run until it gets cold. What should I do with these chicks? Hatching them myself is not an option yet & the chicks still alive are very lively. Will they ever absorb their yolk & be able to hatch whether w/help or w/out? This is their 25th day in the incubator & I'm desperately trying to save them!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Sorry, but I honestly wouldn't hold out much hope for them. What were your temps thru incubation? They must have been pretty low for them to be that late.

3. msheets

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    That's what I've discovered, this was probably caused from low temperatures. My thermometer(old & most likely not accurate) read right on 99/100F throughout incubation, which is what I thought was perfect but now I found out for a LG still air the temp should be 101-102. I went today & bought a new thermometer & a hydrometer so my next hatch should be more successfull. If my temp/humidity would have been correct I would've had 38 out of 44 chicks hatch...

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm sure your next hatch will do much better!

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    "When you know better, you do better."

I have a still air LG and had to ditch the Accu-Rite digital thermometer....it was so far off it fried my eggs at 106 while reading 101. I kept it in the bator because the humidity percents were the only thing that was accurate on it. It's kind of funny when the chicks step on the night light function on it...Suddenly a green glow from within.

Anyway, with a still air incubator I would recommend going with TWO thermometers. Have one on the floor or where the bottom of the eggs would be and one riding on top of the eggs. Ideally, 102 for the top thermometer and 99.5-100 for the floor one.

Sorry for your sad hatch there. Look at it as a learning experiment/experience and remember that ALL hatches (well, except for the few out-of-the-norm 100% hatches) have drama...

Perhaps you can put your chickies in a warm place (back in the incubator with humidity) and let Nature take its course? It can only turn out one of two ways....

6. msheets

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Thanks for the kind words! If my temp/humidity is corrected, I think my next hatch will be just fine. However long it takes, I'm going to leave the remaining chicks in the incubator until all of them either hatch on their own or pass on )= I just hate feeling so helpless but I'll know better next time...thanks everyone

7. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    So sorry. You will get it next time!

8. msheets

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Now at this point, could the 2 who have their beaks pipped (by me) still absorb their yolk? I know they developed really slow due to temperature but as long as I keep their membrane moist & them in the incubator, could they in time finish absorbing everything & live outside the egg? If so I'll keep trying but if there's no way they can absorb everything w/it being day 25 I'll just leave them alone in the bator so nature can take its course...

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd let nature take it's course.

10. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

At this point it is wait and see...keep em warm and moist, and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by