DAY 25 STILL NOT HATCHING

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aubrez, Apr 1, 2017.

1. aubrez

aubrez New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    Okay so I am new to this I have a Broody hen and she is currently sitting on six eggs. She started with 16 eggs this morning she cracked one and it was bad. So I opened 9 of them today (day 25) and found two chicks. I'm not sure how to tell if the we're alive before I opened them or not. Chicks seem to be only at about day 17 at the max they had feathers on their bodies but still quite big yolk sacs however. I'm hoping I didn't make the typical beginner's mistake and kill two babies. How long do I wait for the remaining six eggs to hatch before throwing them out.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You'd have been able to tell they were alive because they would have been moving. Have you candled the eggs to assess their development and see if they're still alive?

If they weren't moving and you know she's been on them for 25 days, it's likely that they have all died, sorry :(

1 person likes this.
  3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    They may have quit on day 17, which would explain why it's day 25 but they look younger [​IMG]
    When it gets dark (if it isn't already) you could take a flashlight out there and candle them. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. aubrez

aubrez New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    One may have been moving slightly. They are Brown eggs so it's hard for me to see anything inside

5. aubrez

aubrez New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    Is it true that eggs can sometimes take up to 30 days to hatch if the weather is cool?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by