Day 25- Update! We have a chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rroven, Jun 20, 2008.

1. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    I was up at 3:30 this morning checking temps and eggs when I heard peeping from the bator I have my 10 Salmon Faverolle eggs in! I've had tons of bator problems with this my first hatch...late hatch, on day 25 now...so believe me, the sound of that little peep was music to my ears...I even woke DH to let him know! [​IMG] Now there is lots more noise coming out of there but...no pip...are they ok?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yes...they are probably fine. I too had bator temp problems but most of mine did hatch on day 21. I have 3 left that haven't pipped...today is day 22...but I KNOW they were alive and well when I closed the bator on day 18. I noticed that they are fairly large eggs so I'm guessing they will hatch sometime today.

3. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    How exciting for you! Hope they all hatch for you!

4. rroven

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    It is exciting but really stressful...told DH last night that it was less stressful having our own babies...lol...and we had 4 all told.

5. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    LOL!!! I know what you mean! GOOD GRIEF! I was pacing and pacing with the last hatch. I was so nervous and felt helpless... I even thought about cigars for after that first one came out (which my 2 year old named Mama... let's hope she's not a roo).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] COME ON BABIES!

6. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Quote:That's what I've been saying, too. I was pretty confident with having human babies-Being a human, I feel qualified. Not so with ducks.

7. rroven

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    The problem with hatching eggs is that there are so many things to watch out for...and watch we do, because of it. My house has never been this dirty. I'm either in the brooder house watching my 3 wk old Ameracaunas (which is cleaner than my house I might add) or I am in the house checking temps/humidity....or the BYC site. The whole deal is a major distraction (don't get me wrong...I'm loving it all) and I know it will all be worth it when this hatch starts.[​IMG]

8. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    My house gets rather "disoriented" when any chicks are hatching around here, too!! Glad I'm not the only one out there like that~~I'll stay up into the night watching & waiting, too. [​IMG] It is so much fun though! [​IMG]

Let us all know how everything goes with your new chicks! [​IMG]

9. rroven

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    It's started! We have a pip in one egg...OMG...you don't think just one of the 10 will hatch, do you? What do I do with a lone chick?

10. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    thats easy........ BUY MORE!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by