Day 26... About to Give Up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ellie, May 27, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Well, not until tomorrow, but my broody, Emily is on day 26. I thought she had walked off yesterday, but nope, back in she came and clamped down on them.

I am at work today, so cannot go check her ... decided to come here!! [​IMG]

Ellie

2. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    You could candle them and se if there's any movement, if there is leave them, they may be behind.

Good Luck, I'm sure they will hatch, there just a big lazy.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If she is not wanting to get up permanently I wouldn't take them just yet...hens usually know if the hatch is going to fail....they might not be as far along as you think....

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I had heard that the hens know if the eggs are viable. Well, so far my chickens have seemed much smarter than I am at these things, [​IMG] so maybe I could leave them a little longer.

I am going out of town on Thursday so, please send hatching vibes... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ellie

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Good luck, I hope they hatch. [​IMG]

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    IMO--the hens dont neccesarly (sic) know if they are fertile or not. I have had hens which I pull non fertile eggs out frmo and put chickens under. They sit on them the whole time as if they are fertile. They have also hatched out fertile eggs for me....

....so for the mostg part, I dont htink they know if tehya re fertile or not...I would candle them.

7. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Yeh like other have said above just get one egg and candle, check for any signs of life, try not to move it that much because it may be about to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by