Day 26 and eggs have not hatched?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RED girl, Mar 9, 2014.

1. RED girl

RED girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    This is my first broody hen. I gave her 12 eggs and they were due to hatch on March 4, 2014. Nothing has happened. Everywhere I read it says 21 days is the norm. Can they go longer? I have candled and there are chicks in the eggs. Any information will be appreciated.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    They can indeed go longer. I've had some which were only intermittently brooded by a deficient mother hen last for a month before they hatched. They can also hatch in less time. But sometimes, mainly dependent on the health or lack thereof of the parents, particularly the mother, they can simply fail to start hatching. In which case there's nothing much you can do.

If she's not the sort of hen to tuck eggs under herself as soon as she sees they're not under her, then it's entirely possible they've been left in the cold overnight beside her and it's delayed development and therefore hatching.

I would leave them at least until the 30th and by then you should know for sure. But do whatever you think is best.

3. RED girl

Jan 12, 2013
    Thank you for the info. She does tuck them back under her. I recently moved her and eggs into my carport due to the other hens started getting in her box. She is not moving off if them at all.

4. RED girl

Jan 12, 2013
    I just went and listened to see if I heard chirping and I think I may have. Is it ok to lift her to see?

5. 2Myanimals

2Myanimals Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    What is the status of the baby chicks? Are they here yet? I remember when I was a kid, we have a chicken whose eggs hatched except for a few. As a kid, having known that we were way past 21 days I started throwing the eggs off the balcony to hear the loud 'bomb-like' noise. Well one of the eggs thrown did not make a noise except a baby chick chirping!! Just so you know, there is a chance that it will go beyond 21 days in this case a week off!!!

6. RED girl

Jan 12, 2013
    6 of the original 9 hatched on Monday the 27th day. I moved the other 3 into the incubator today, only because when I checked on her 3 eggs were in front of her and she was not rolling them back in. She was also sitting on 5 that were not due to hatch until the 17th so I went ahead and took those out as well. Hopefully they still have a chance. When I collected them they were all still very warm. I tried to candle and I can see a black mass inside. So will let them go until the 17th and see if we get more babies. This has been a major learning process for me. If the incubator eggs hatch on Monday they will be 1 week apart. Do you think that will be a problem if I add them to her?

7. RED girl

Jan 12, 2013
    [​IMG]
    One of my babies.

8. RED girl

Jan 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. 2Myanimals

2Myanimals Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    They are ADORABLE. There is a chance the incubator chicks may get rejected. BUT I have also seen hens taking on other birds' chicks but I think that was within a week or so. I guess we will see. I say you introduce them one by one and keep a close eye on them. Keep us posted:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by