Day 26-I pipped the egg and chick still alive-What to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by easttxchick, Jan 26, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Day 26-I had seen no movement and heard no peeping in a couple of days so I was going to check the eggs before disposing of them. I pipped one of the eggs and the chick is still alive-now what do I do? I did not break the membrane. I put him back in the incubator so now do I leave him there in hopes he'll hatch or do I help him?

2. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    I dont know what to say , im sure somone will , all i can say is keep the bator closed and the humiddity up

good luck

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Loads of info on here if you use the search bar! I personally helped one and it was to weak to survive. Most people say no dont help but If you do then make sure to keep membrane moist and if any bleeding stop wet down area with moist paper towel and put back in bator! Theres some youtube videos of helping them that are very informative!

4. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    oh my..someone will know soon.....I hope

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I would say if there is no change in 2 hours after you pipped it, you can try to chip off little pieces of the egg shell.
    keep the membrain just moist by putting wet papertowel over it.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yes, make sure to keep the membrane damp. At 26 days...well, I would keep an eye on it for just a bit but if it doesnt make any progress on its on,then I guess its time to help. Though maybe thats kind of natures way of weeding out the ones that are probably too weak to survive?[​IMG] I sure hope the little one makes it for you.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Day 26! wow thats a late hatch! I would continue to moisten the membrane and break little bits and pieces of shell off for it...how humidty going?

8. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Were your temps correct? Did any of the chicks hatch? Maybe recheck to see if temp was too low. Give it a little more time and keep humidity up. [​IMG]

Good luck.

9. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    day 26? i say fully hatch that baby now!

10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks for the help ya'll-this hatch went SOUTH! Got one beautiful little B/B/S silkie chick out of it(thank God for the one). Temp. and humidity were great throughout.

Sometimes things just don't work out and that's all I'm gonna say or I might start singing the 4-letter serenade! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by