Day 26 - No babies but... UPDATE: Baby IS alive! NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jettgirl24, Apr 8, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Hi Guys,

I have two eggs left in the bator and I'm rounding out day 26. They haven't pipped and are only rocking a little but but I candled and I can see them moving in there. At this point I'm getting concerned that they are too big for the egg. It's so hard knowing they are alive in there but not knowing how to help them or if I *should* help them!

Any advice for me? Do I sit on my hands and wait to see how things turn out or do I help them pip somehow (a prospect that makes me very nervous)? Not sure what to do [​IMG]

Edited to add some more info: My temps have and humidity have been spot on the entire time and I have one healthy baby that was set at the same time as these and hatched 5 days ago. Air cells were quite large at day 22 so I upped the humidity, candled again at day 24 and they looked normal. These are Marans eggs in case that affects your advice!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Are they chirping??

3. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I don't hear chirping [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    are you sure they are chicks moving? I had some eggs that were bad and the bacteria made it look like they were moving by just shifting the egg...took them outside to toss them and they exploded... Is it a still air bator?

5. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I thought about the bacteria thing... Im not totally positive its the chicks. There's no smell though. Its not still air, its a fridgibator with two fans running.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    do you have more than one thermometer? I would open the air cell on one, but that is just me....If I find a live chick I just use scotch tape the small hold I made, mist the bator and put it back. I have never had any chicks hatch after day 22 in my bator when I know my temps were fine.....I am not telling you to do that, just what I do.....hope it all works out for you [​IMG]

7. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Ok, I took the egg into the bathroom with the shower on... Started to chip off some shell and pulled back some of the membrane. pipped a little too low at first and got a tiny spot of blood, then moved further toward the aircell and carefully peeled it back. The chick is DEFINITELY alive, watched it breathing. No cheeping though. Wrapped it in a slightly damp warm washcloth and put it back in the bator really quickly...

What do I do now? Take it back in the bathroom and continue peeling shell or leave it alone in the bator now??? It doesn't seem to be trying to get out on it's own... Any expert help is greatly appreciated!!!

Pic of what I did... Looks dry but isn't so much... Not as tough as it looks.

[​IMG]

8. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Just wait a little bit and try again. If you see blood still wait a few more hours and repeat the process.

But I know it sounds harsh ........ But sometimes if the chick can't hatch its self then it might not be "right" or strong enough to live outside the shell. Sometimes its just not meant to be.

Maybe these guys were in a cooler part of the bator and are just behind the others. I always hold out hope. two of mine didn't make it out of my last hatch. One died during lockdown without a pip and the other died before lockdown the yolk really didn't absorb.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yeah, that is why I pip the air cell on top, so I can close it back up if I need to. I have to agree, sometimes there is a reason they don't hatch. I "helped" one once...had an exposed brain...wished I never opened that one cuz it was alive... crossing my fingers for you [​IMG]

10. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I've had them pip and die in previous hatches... Never helped before, just let nature take it's course... Also never had them still alive in there on day 26! I will go ahead and wait... The tough part is that this baby wasn't pipped and I can't tell if it has even pipped internally. I had to just pick a place to pip for it and I have no idea where to go from here.... It may just be too weak but I guess I want to help if I can in case it's turned wrong in the egg or something. I don't think there was temperature variation that would be significant enough to affect the hatch date this drastically... There were only three eggs, all within inches of each other... It's very frustrating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by