Day 26. Silkie Eggs. Nothing. Now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by averytds, May 11, 2009.

1. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    My DDs class is doing the hatching. It's now day 26 and no chicks. The teacher and I established Plan B at the beginning. Plan B- after school while my DH watches the kids at home, I run to the feed store, get some chicks, meet teacher and swap the chicks and eggs.

Should we implement this now? Is all hope lost? Candle and if movement wait a few more days? Crack them open?

Any help is appreciated. This is the first time for us, so we're unsure what to do.

2. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Personally at 26 days I would not hold out much hope. Candle first and see what may have happened. What was your temp? any spikes or drops? What was humidity?

I'm not an expert by far...so you may want to wait for others to advise...but gas the car for the trip to buy the chicks...[​IMG]

3. averytds

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Temps were a constant 100 throughout. Not sure about the humidity. Turned twice a day. Days 22 and 23 there was some slight movement by 5 out of the 14 eggs. Nothing stinky, leaking or oozing. The all look exactly like they did on day 1.

We planned to candle after school today, but weren't sure what to do after that. Will we even be able to see movement or will everything just be fairly solid shaded? If we do see anything, do we just put them back and keep waiting? Crack them open?

If we've got no chance at anything and with the distance to the feed store, we'll have to put them back for the night and perform the switch tomorrow. So cracking any open would have to wait until then. I've already found a feed store about 1 and 1/2 hours away that assured me they have plenty of bantam babies.

4. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    From my own experience...sometimes things just happen for no reason at all. I just had 4 of 6 Silkies quit on day 19/20. Moved to hatcher from incubator on day 18, candled and all was well. Temp kept steady at 100.5 and increased humidity to 75% range. Second time in a row that has happen to me.
    You should have had some pips on day 20 to 22 even with some slight temp variance, but after 26 days I just don't know. You should at least see or feel some movement. If your humidity was high maybe they couldn't pip...hoping someone more experience chimes in...

100 was the temp? That's a little low. Is it a still air incubator?

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm all for putting chicks in the classroom, but I don't have a problem letting kids know that the eggs didn't make it. Real life happens. We don't live a fairy tale. Yes kids are disappointed but they are probably more about the chicks than the hatching. I taught school for many years. Depending on the age of the kids (and how well you know your parents) this can be a great learning experience as well about life. Its a tough call as we all want to make life sweet and easy for our children. I have 5 young gdaughters, I know how difficult it is to give them bad news. Done right its a wonderful learning tool. I'm really not trying to start a stink about how/what we teach kids, just offering a truthful option for you.

Vicki

6. averytds

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I wasn't planning on getting chicks for all 14 eggs, just 3 or 4. So they can experience the live chicks for a couple weeks and have something for them to take pics of for the baby chick picture frames they all made.

If there was more time, we'd just set new ones, but unfortunately there isn't.

Also, these eggs were from a much higher caliber of stock than anything I'm going to get from a feed store, so if there is still a chance for any of them, I don't want to mess that up.

7. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

What a great experience for the kids. Its so unfortunate that they aren't able to see the hatch, but they won't mind when they get to see some chicks. Enjoy with them and don't worry too much about the lack of a hatch.

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'd candle - usually if you watch long enough some bit will move, though it's pretty dark in there. Then just treat it like you were going to help - see article in read me on hatching... and crack the aircell end a bit, enough to see in. If they're alive you should be able to see the membrane shift as they breathe. If you prod it gently with your finger you'll be able to tell if it moves. No movement at all is probably gone. I usually open them up to see when they quit regardless.

9. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Being it has been so long you could take a chance and crack one open to see if there is any hope and then would know for sure [​IMG]

10. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    WOW. How unfortunate for the kids to miss out on a hatch! But I'm sure enjoying the time to see some chicks would make them happy![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by