1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 27 of first ever incubation...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kristinandray, Jul 24, 2011.

1. kristinandray

kristinandray Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    this is our first time incubating eggs.... per the directions i have kept the water resivoirs full in the incubator and kept the temp at 99.5
    i removed the turner @ day 17 and candled. there were two that i removed.
    day 21 came, and day 21 went
    NO pipping No anything.
    two days ago my husband decided i was crazy and must not have seen anything when i candled.
    he decided to hatch an egg himself and check
    there was a baby... just not quite ready yet
    sooo.... why is it taking so long? what is going on?
    i still notice no pipping or anything. tomorrow morning is a week overdue?
    please help, what should i do?
    i thought it would be really more right on 21 days,thanks in advance

2. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    I haven't hatched any with an incubator yet but I have read that if your temp is low it'll take longer? [​IMG] Good luck with the wait!

3. Orpimom

Orpimom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    First off...Is it chicken eggs? Other things like ducks,guineas, and pheasants etc take longer than 21 days. If it was chicken eggs,when your husband cracked it open,was it actually still alive? How formed was it? It is quite possible that the chick died well into formation.27 days is way too long for a chicken egg.How was your humidity? Too much humidity and the chick could have drowned in the shell.Not enough could affect it also.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. kristinandray

Jul 22, 2011
    yes theyre chicken eggs. and it was alive when he cracked it... but not ready ..... still blood etc... i dont know what to do? i dont have a humidistat but have kept the water rings full in the incubator and the temp at a constant 99.5 as the directions with the incubator said to....
    soooo, what now?
    thanks for the help!

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have never heard of chicken eggs hatching to survival after day 27. Even when the chicks are ready, there will be blood vessels that will bleed if disrupted. If there is still some yolk in the egg, then it was not ready. I would question if the day count is off somehow. Weird.

6. kristinandray

Jul 22, 2011
    day count is right on... when he did crack the egg there was still blood and yolk... so not fully developed but it was Alive as well as anything ive ever seen.. which in turn made me feel HORRIBLE like an accomplice to murder..... [​IMG]
    i know that they are "just chickens" but they are my pets and part of our family as any dog or cat would be ....
    i just dont know what to do or what is going on [​IMG]
    hopefully when my silkies grow up they are broody and can hatch the eggs for me instead of this incubator stuff.. too much confusion and worry for me! and my reds have Zero interest in hatching their eggs.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Sounds like you are having humidity problems.

You need to put a hygrometer in there, go get one for $4 from Petco and it will tell you what your humidity is. It needs to be roughly 35-45% during incubation, and 55-65% during hatching.

99.5 degrees is fine, that's about what I run in my Forced Air Brinsea.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. kristinandray

Jul 22, 2011
    i will get one in the morning! thanks for your help.... do you think i can save them this far past their "due date"?

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Not enough info- is it a still air or forced air incubator, and how accurate is your thermometer?

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:
    As stated above we need to know what kind of incubator, and what type of thermometer, but *generally* I would say no it's too late for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by