Day 28...nervous first timer - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tink0602, Jun 4, 2011.

1. tink0602

tink0602 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    I know Muscovy eggs are difficult to hatch, so I am trying my very best...we are on day 28. DH and I noticed that the thermometer kept falling off of the top of the eggs yesterday, and I saw one rock a bit last night. When I turned them about 1/2 hour ago, I took a peak at the air cells with my LED light and most of them are about 1/3 of the egg and slanted. Is that too big?? or okay for day 28?? I could see movement in almost all of them at the base of the air cell, it looked as if there was a little IN the air cell???? (or maybe just very close pushing on it???) not like pointy beaks, though. I had pulled the second red plug, today, but I stuck it back in just now and added some warm wet washcloths to line the inside edges of the bator. I know humidity needs to be increased before hatching.
    Anybody know what Muscovy air cell size should be at this point and before hatching?? Should they be rocking a little at this point?? I don't hear any peeps yet.
    What should I do??????? [​IMG]

THANK YOU

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    anybody???? I don't want to dehydrate my ducklings???

[​IMG]

3. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    okay...now the window is fogging up?? should I leave the washcloths or take one out?

4. DaftaboutDucks

DaftaboutDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    What kind of bator do you have & relax.....breath. I was a basket case our first hatch(Easter weekend) for no reason. Try to enjoy it. I know easier said than done. By the end of the hatch I was sooooo tired it wasn't funny. I swore that next hatch I would have everything ready and really enjoy it......We will see. Our hatch is on the 12th. Our incubator fogged up after we were in it. Are you on lock down yet?

5. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    I have a little giant with a fan. I didn't think I was supposed to be on lockdown for another few days. These are Muscovies, so they typically take 35-37 days. today is day 28. Could they hatch this early?? Although, we recovered these from mama who was killed, but she had only JUST started sitting on them the night before. (So maybe day 29?) I read somewhere that since the air cell is so slanted, maybe I should stop turning them? I just don't know if I should lock them down and leave them alone, or keep turning them? pull the other red plug?? it seems too early, but they are pushing against the air cell and rocking a bit...no beaks, though.

Thank you for talking me down!!!!!

6. DaftaboutDucks

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    Don't know that kind of bator, ours is a home built fridg-e-bator. Ya right....Muscovies take longer......ours rouen eggs started rocking days (4-5) before they hatched & then I think that took a while too. Sorry I can't be more help but try to calm down....I remember how it feels. [​IMG]

7. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    Thanks for the support![​IMG]

I decided to stop turning them and lockdown to let them do their thing. Keep me posted on how your hatch goes! Hopefully we will be swapping pics on here soon. It looks like we will be hatching close to the same time. [​IMG] But I think you are going to have A LOT more babies than I am!

8. DaftaboutDucks

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    No problem...wish I knew more about Muscovies....maybe get some of those too. That would be great to exchange pic and keep each other calm!!! I say it now .....but....I will see how calm I am on hatch day! [​IMG] for the both of us & our hatches!

9. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    Hey Daft! Are your babies hatching yet???? We have 7/8 baby duckies! 6 of them hatched beautifully all on their own (and I was so worried!!). I had to help the last one, and he was pretty weak at first, but now he is doing awesome! [​IMG]
    I don't think the 8th one finished developing fully...no movement or pipping in air cell...I gave it a few extra days and candled it a few times, just to make sure.

10. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Just seen this but looks like it worked out great for you congrats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by