Day 29 of incubation of runner duck egg.

hughes family

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
Starke, Florida
I have only one in there right now in a homemade incubator trying to see if this works. Today is day 29 and the baby runner duck is alive and moving, but the veins are becoming more faint, and it hasnt internally pipped yet or made a crack nothing. I dont even hear nothing like everyone claims. So my question is, if for some reason it dont hatch itself can u help make a crack or what? What do i do now? Its very humid in there, plus we live in florida so humid no matter what. Idk i domt want it to die, not sure what else to do so im asking for help. Thanks

How humid is "very humid"? Too much humidity will drown the chick in its shell. We hatch our ducks at roughly 60% at lock down. Sometimes you can hear it peep in the shell but I generally don't hear anything until the break through the shell. You could make a small hole in the air cell end and check on the chick
Good luck. Hatching eggs can get frustrating the first few times.

Chris

I dont know how much humidity i have 2 6 oz cups if water in there for humidity. Guess i should buy a incubator lol. So if i make a hole how do i do that in the shell? And how do i check on it after that?

I have scratched a small hole in the big end with a pair of tweezers. If it has internally piped you should be able to see the beak. Just be aware that helping a chick to hatch also comes with its own set of problems. The chick could be weak and not survive very long.
It may also just not be ready to hatch. We've had runners hatch on day 30 (about as long as I wait)

Back
Top Bottom