Day 3 question with pic

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wegs813, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    This is my first time incubating. Set 22 eggs. Last night was day 3 and I candled the eggs out of curiosity. There were a few eggs that I could definitely see something going on. Once again out of curiosity I took an egg that I did not see anything in, and cracked it open to see what was going on....this is what I saw....was this fertile and growing?
    [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am no expert, so I'll leave that to others to answer the question reliably. But I think it was.

I don't usually candle eggs until day 10, but the first time I candled incubating eggs I *did* candle at day 7, and could see the veins and a dark blob developing.

I think day 3 is a tad bit early to check.

3. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:I agree that it probably is too early....but curiosity killed me! And I really wanted to see what was going on!

4. -Mr.HenryRooster

-Mr.HenryRooster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    I am pretty sure it was [​IMG]...But i am a new hatcher myself just got my first batch. Like you i have alot of "curiosity" in me. I mean i had to candel everyday and wanted to be more hands on.But what i learned on day 22 the little fuzzballs do it so much better all by themselfs. for instence "i just had to help one out of the shell i thought it needed help and sure enuf it had alittle bit of the yoke hangin out " to early" well i placed it in the brooder and the yoke went in the belly and is fine just not as active as the others. Relax it will come together [​IMG] ....Alittle curiosity never hurts !!!!! [​IMG]

Earn a fast $50

http://www.paybox.me/r/markettrendmaster

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Looks like either a blood spot or a quiter. Day 3 would be a little farther along than that with obvious spider veins.

Also I don't know if someone has said anything but I think it's against the forum rules to have the link that you have at the bottom of your page....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by