Day 30

mettafour

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
So, today is day 30 since my ancona duck mama started sitting and no babies from the 4 eggs under her. Can it take longer when a mama is sitting vs an incubator? I hope so... I've about lost all hope.

Depending on outdoor temps & how well momma actually sat it could be a few days yet. Don't toss any without candling. I've heard people say it can take up to an extra week sometimes.

You should candle them. Even if I don't see any movement I still wait a few more days.

Last edited:
Thanks you both so much for replying! I candled them about 4 days ago and they were really dark, except where the air pocket is. I'm afraid to move them now, other than picking them up to smell them, afraid to change their position because I read that if you move them in the last few days you can kill them? I'm so afraid I did that with that last candling. She only has 4 eggs under her at this point and none of them smell... so, I've been holding out hope. Should I still candle them at this point? We have had some chilly days over the last 2 weeks and I wondered if that would make a difference in the timing. She has been a really good sitter though, only getting off her nest once or twice a day for only a few minutes.

Yes! Yes! YES!!! I couldn't control myself and I went and candled the eggs as best as I could in the not all dark barn. We have 4 left from the original 15 and while I couldn't see anything but dark and the air pocket on the first three, the fourth definitely had movement!!! I am hoping for the other three as well. Could it be normal to only see darkness and the air pocket?

Yes! Yes! YES!!! I couldn't control myself and I went and candled the eggs as best as I could in the not all dark barn. We have 4 left from the original 15 and while I couldn't see anything but dark and the air pocket on the first three, the fourth definitely had movement!!! I am hoping for the other three as well. Could it be normal to only see darkness and the air pocket?
Yep...

YAY!
wee.gif

you need to go out and candle in the dark so you can see exactly what is going on
at this point their air cells should be dipped down one side of the egg .
any that arent toss them .
in these eggs you should see a beak in the air cell.
put it to your ear. you should hear peeping.

Back
Top Bottom