Day 31 - Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by erinszoo, Oct 21, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Well, here's the girls today. The smallest are right at 2 1/2 lbs which we think are roosters and the rest are all between there and 3 lbs. We killed two last week (that were very yummy for Sunday dinner) and have 12 left. They are going through about 4 lbs of feed a day. We started letting them out of the brooder area for a couple of hours each day and they enjoy laying in the sun and digging in the dirt. Still have a light on with them most of the day because the weather has gotten cold and they need it for the heat.

In contrast, our egg birds which are the same age are averaging 12 1/2 oz and go through about one pound of feed a day. There's a pic below of them side by side for comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Good eating but ugly as homemade soap!!

3. machoman

machoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2011
    Very nice! I'm right at 4 weeks, I think. I have a few that are pretty big and one or two that are as small as your brown chick. I don't know how much we feed them a day, I just put it in a pan and let them go at it. Mine stay in an unlit brooder in the evening ( I think I'm going to change that ) and are outside in a play yard during the day.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Oh those are nice looking - ugly, but chunky! Good to hear the "taste test" was a hit too! I can't wait until we reach that point and ours aren't even here yet! (Should be tomorrow though) Good job!

And nice keeping track too! I can only hope to keep track like you did, I am curious to see what we get as well!

Once again - marvelous job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by