Day 31-still no chicks-could something be wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by homeschoolingmom, Jun 25, 2008.

1. homeschoolingmom

homeschoolingmom New Egg

Jun 25, 2008
    We have an incubator and my aunt gave us some brown ferilized eggs to hatch. I have kept the temp right at 99.5. I have kept plenty of water in the little water places inside the incubator. My aunt came over and candlelit them. We can see a large dark mass inside the eggs. The shells have gotten so that there are dark spots (almost looks like the shell is thinning out). We used this thing she brought to listen to them and we could hear what sounded like scratching but I am seeing nothing. No movement-no sign of cracks or anything. What could be going on? Is it normal for them to be on day 31 and still not be hatched? Should we try to carefully open one? Is it too moist in there? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You mean day 21?.....depends on your incubator type and if the temps or humidity could have been low your hatch may be late.....

3. homeschoolingmom

homeschoolingmom New Egg

Jun 25, 2008
    No, I do mean day 31. We put them in the Sat. before memorial day.

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Are they regular chicken eggs? Not ducks?

Chickens usually take 21 days to hatch and usually 25 days at max. If you are really on Day 31 with chickens I don't think there is any hope of them hatching. Sorry [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It only takes chick 21 days to hatch out.....a day or two over that if the temps and humidity have been off or low...

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree if it's day 31 I'd throw them out before they explode. If you're seeing dark spots in them you could have bacteria growing.....that will lead to exploding eggs which is not good!!

7. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    Throw them out. I had chicks hatch on day 25 and they died. They were deformed

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    O MY [​IMG] throw them out for sure before they blow

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I think we need to clarify what kind of eggs these are before they throw them out. If they are muscovy eggs, they very well could take 35 days.

Jody

10. homeschoolingmom

homeschoolingmom New Egg

Jun 25, 2008
    How do I know what kind of eggs they may be? Is there a way of telling without actually contacting the egg source?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by