Day 35 for Muscovy eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Hi! 35 days seems such a long time to wait for eggs to hatch!
    I set eggs from my Muscovy New Years Day and this morning I have a pip!
    These set 1/1/11 were their first fertile ones. I have more Muscovy eggs set the 6th and the 13th then they stopped laying!
    Got the first egg yesterday since the 13th. Is it common for them to start and stop like that? For about 2 weeks, I was getting 3 or 4 eggs a day (there are 4 girls).
    [​IMG]
    Lisa
    edit: Nothing else happened all day long, so I checked the eggs and all 3 were dead-in-shell --- fully developed, yolks mostly absorbed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Congrats on the duck eggs that are about to hatch. [​IMG]

Not sure about the stopping and starting of the egg laying. I have too many muscovy hens to tell the difference. My girls are lay all over the play and it is driving me KRAZY! Keep us posted on yours.

3. Hi!
    Nothing else happened all day long, so I checked the eggs and all 3 were dead-in-shell --- fully developed, yolks mostly absorbed.

Last edited by Dipsy Doodle Doo (Today 8:06 pm)

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh, that's too bad about those eggs. I hate when that happens.

5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Wow you have patiences! (sp?) I can barley stange the 21 day wait with chickens eggs, I DONT THINK I could hatch Muscovys! haha wayyyyy tttooo loongg.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have had to help some of mine out before, or even just pop the "top" off the egg so they can breathe until their yolk is done absorbing. for the ones with a lot left I wrap a moist/wet wash cloth around them to keep them positioned and to help it absorb. They are strong pippers but a lot o times they just quit for no reason, almost like they just run out of energy.. I've never understood it... just finally started helping because i got tired of finding them like that [​IMG]

(also, i noticed that if i peep at the incubator/eggs everytime i pass it or have to open it during hatch it helps them hatch faster, like they're excited to get out and see "mom")

Quote:

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:That's why I don't have an incubator. I let the chickens and ducks hatch their own. I mark the calendar and check on them on the due date.

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:That's why I don't have an incubator. I let the chickens and ducks hatch their own. I mark the calendar and check on them on the due date.

Well then the muscovy mothers must have ALOT of patiences! [​IMG]

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Well then the muscovy mothers must have ALOT of patiences! [​IMG]

Oh yea!!! They always run me away from the nest that they are setting on.

10. lalalacey

lalalacey New Egg

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi i live in Aiken sc also, we have a pond in the front yard with one lonely muscovy (well he follows the canadian geese around). I was wondering where you got yours from i'm looking for more, a friend gave us ours. Do you know of anywhere i can get them from here in Aiken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by