Day 4 candling brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ilovemyduckies, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I've got 18 Buff Orpington egg in my incubator. They are at day 4 and I cannot see anything. This is my first time trying to hatch brown eggs. I have tried to hatch black eggs, but because they were black I didn't bother candling them. They did develop fully, but did not hatch. Because this is my first time dealing with shipped eggs, and I spent money on them, I don't want one to be dead and contaminate/kill the other eggs. I also have a dozen duck eggs in there that are deloping very nice, and i don't want any dead chicken eggs to kill them. So, my questions are, what do they look like at days 3-6? Any pics? Also, will it start to get easier to see the development as they get older? Thanks in advance for any answers. ;)

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would recommend not candling until day 10 on a brown egg. It's just too hard to see, and it'll drive you nuts! A dead embryo normally won't contaminate the rest.

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Well, the thing I am mostly worried about is that duck eggs are REALLY sensitive. But I'll do that, I think they will be fine until then.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I wish I had have known this when I started! :gig

My brown eggs are FINALLY showing at day 13 :rolleyes: I checked on Tuesday and I couldn't see much at all, and now they are moving like crazy :D I am very excited!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by