Day 4 - candling pic's page 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wildsky, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'm really excited.

I set eggs I bought from Jody late on Monday after having to wait for my incubator so the eggs had sat around my house for four days....... anyway so its day 4 today, and I built myself a really funny contraption to candle with - it includes some black fabric, a coffee can lid with hole, and a measuring cup on top of a very bright flashlight.

ANyhoo - I was practicing using my own eggs, to see if I could see through the green shells, find the air pocket in my own eggs, then I couldn't STAND it any longer and pulled out one of the Arucana eggs........

I saw a very dark spot, veins and the whole one side of the egg was dark - I'm SO excited........

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Wildsky,
    is that the incubator you got from me??? That was last month though??? I hoped that one worked okay!!!!

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good luck on your hatch!! [​IMG]

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    [​IMG]

I'm excited for you! I just set some myself! Good luck hatching I hope it goes well for you and those lil fuzzy butts continue to grow! [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:No I tried that one, the temp was up and down and up and down, and I got SO nervous I decided to buy a new one - well DH said I could - [​IMG] I have them in the Hova Genesis.....
    Its just so easy when I'm such a dork with these things... the only thing I have to worry about is the humidity. I had to hold on to the eggs for 4 days after they arrived, I was a MESS!!!!

[​IMG]

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am SOOOOO sorry that didnt work out.

I only tested the fact that it did heat up, I didnt check it for flucuations. I am sorry, I feel so bad!!

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Don't feel bad tiffany - perhaps with more experience I can use it for hatching or something, I just struggled cause I didn't know what the heck I was doing [​IMG]

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Congrats Wildsky! It's fun huh? I think that's the bator I want too. I borrowed the one we used for this hatch and I've been a wreck worrying about temps and humidity. Keep us posted!!

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:WAY too exciting thats for sure!

[​IMG] I candled a few more before my spotlight thing died - its charging now.

ALl the others had just a big dark spot - like half the egg, which seems to be on track for what should be happening on day 4.... I will wait a few days and candle again....

I have one egg in there that I noticed has a crack - I'd like to check it out - I only noticed the crack when I was writing on the egg, and the pencil kinda jerked, so its very very tiny.... but I might need to get it out of there..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by