Day 4 in the mail... will they survive?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jespy1230, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Jespy1230

Jespy1230 In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2019
    Hi all,

So my ducklings were shipped out on Monday night and still have not made it to our post office. I called this morning expecting them to be there and they said it probably would be tomorrow.

There are 3 ducklings and I know they put grow gel in there.. but will they be okay? How likely is it that they will not make it? Of course today we are expecting 10 inches of snow... thats why I was hoping they would be here already. It is currently snowing outside and it looks to me that they are four hours away. I am hoping that I get a call later today that they made it. I hope I dont have to wait until the morning.

Has anyone else had this happen?

All info is much appreciated.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Where are they coming from? Hopefully they’ll be okay. :fl

3. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Should be ok...good luck and once you get them be sure to post pics!:hugs:pop

4. Jespy1230

Jespy1230 In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2019
    They shipped from San Jose, California on Monday night. I just called the post office again and they said they are sure they wont be here until the morning. I am really worried I am gonna pick up dead ducklings. I used purely poultry and I should have gone through metzer I think. I didnt realize that purely poultry was not a hatchery itself.

5. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Can you drop off anything for the ducklings right now at the post office if they allow incase you can't pick them up tomorrow? Like water and feed, with instructions?

6. Jespy1230

Jespy1230 In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2019
    Thats a really good idea.. I told them to call me as soon as possible and they said they would call me at 4.a.m tomorrow morning. I really hope they do and I really hope everyone is alive!
    If they are struggling is there anything I can give them to help? I have brewers yeast and the chick starter. The brooder is all set up.... but I am worried!

7. Miss Lydia

Be sure to give them warm water their first week. Do you have Poultry Nutri drench? that's a real good thing to give to new arrivals. Can be added to their water or given straight.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Why warm water the first week?

9. Miss Lydia

It's best to give new ducklings water that is room temp or warmer because the cold water can chill them.

10. Miss Lydia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: