Day #4....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TamiHunter, Oct 27, 2009.

1. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I candled my eggs this morning and I really can't see any veins!! I have 7 in the bator and it's been 4 days. What does this mean? Are my eggs doomed? The temp in the bator is holding pretty steady at 90-100. mostly at 99.5. [​IMG]
    I am so worried!! This is my first try and want everything to go well! Was hoping for at least 3 or 4 good hatches out of the 7.

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it's probably just a bit early to be sure.

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I'd wait another few days before candling again, because you cant really see much at day 4

Good luck [​IMG]

eggsrcool [​IMG]

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Did you mean to say 99-100? Because 90 would be way too cool. Also, is the incubator still or forced air? If still air, I think the temp needs to be closer to 102.

5. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Ya. I meant 99-100..sorry. It's still air and the bator directions said to keep the temp at 99.5???

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I didn't see veins or movement til day 9. Some of the darker ones I didn't see movement until day 12.

7. mischievouschickens

mischievouschickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    Hi Tami,

I am also on Day 4 and it's also our first time! We should keep each other updated. I have not yet candled my eggs - have 39 in the bator currently. 12 are Trader Joe's Fertile Eggs. We got 18 from another BYCer (one arrived cracked) and decided to add the TJs eggs to increase our chances of a successful hatch. We want to show our daughter where chicks come from!

We didn't know about the candle wax trick to "mend" the cracked egg but due to our inexperience, it was probably better that we removed it from the rest anyway. I'll probably candle at Day 7 to check for veining - 3 are silkies so we'll have something to compare, hopefully. Part of this incubation is to help test for fertility so we'll see.

We also are using a still air and have the temperature steady between 101 and 102. Humidity is on the higher end at 40 currently (we're using the dry incubation method). Rather than go in there and remove excess H20, we're just letting evaporation take its course. We didn't realize how much moisture the eggs themselves gave off!

Happy Hatching! [​IMG]

8. mischievouschickens

mischievouschickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    Sorry, forgot to mention that our target humidity is between 30-35 Days 1-18 and then bumping it up to no more than 55 during lockdown, Days 19-21 (22, 23, 24).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by